Brand New iMac-- Is this a flaw??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by koppite, May 30, 2008.

1. koppite macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just got a new imac. Took it out of the box and started it up, then used migration assitant to transfer files from an old computer. It then froze at about "13 minoutes remaining." OK. I rebooted and tried again. Still froze.

I then did an "erase and install" using the factory disks that came with my computer. WIll these disks effectively erase all of the data that was partially transfered by the migration assistant? Does this problem sound like I should take the computer back and get a new one??

Thanks!!

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

No of course not. Have you run the updates before running migration assistant?

Failing that just use a external hard drive or cd or usb key etc. Can't think why you'd want to take it back lol :p

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yes, performing an erase and install will format your hard drive. You will lose all data in the disk.

It doesnt seem just yet that it should be taken to Apple store. Just reformat and see if it works or not.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If this problem persists, you might want to try running the Migration Assistant after you run the initial setup on your new Mac (the application is in your Applications folder). Could be a problem with the drive in your old Mac.

5. Burgess07 macrumors regular

Burgess07

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Migration Assistant only works from one Mac to another.

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Wrong my friend. I have done it many times with a cloned external drive from another Mac. You don't need to connect to another Mac.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

When you say "froze", do you mean it was completely stuck, or it was just on "13 minutes" for a long time. May past experience with Migration Assistant is that the progress bar isn't very accurate and it's usually doing something even though it looks like it's not.

9. koppite thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, completly frozen. Both computers are brand new, also. Hmm.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sheesh, talk about nitpicking. It requires the ability set the drive up as an external Firewire drive. If you know of a way to boot a Windows PC into Target Disk Mode, then by all means, inform us.

11. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I'm not disagreeing with that. He never said anything about using a Windows PC. He is upgrading from an old Mac to a new Mac.

I'm just saying (and agreeing with your firewire drive statement) that he doesn't have to do a physical computer to computer hookup. If he has a cloned drive (firewire) from his old system, he can use that instead of the computer to do the migration assistant.

In essence we are both on the same page. :D

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Got you, but I was responding only to the question, "your old computer is a Mac, right?"

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Well then I misunderstood your reply. My Bad! Sorry.:eek:

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's okay, but now you have to sit in the corner for an hour and think about what you did.