Brand new iMac loosing connection?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by James94l, Feb 12, 2015.

1. James94l macrumors newbie

Hi all,

posting from my Macbook pro here.

Yesterday I purchased a 21" iMac which I love but I'm having a few problems...

My internet is intermittent on the iMac. Sometimes it works at lightning speed and other times it doesn't work at all, it was fine yesterday from the moment I got it until this morning.

The actual wifi connection is showing 4 bars, works perfectly on all my other devices so it must be something to do with my iMac.

When I go System Prefs > Network it shows Wi-fi in green and saying it's connected but this sometimes goes orange and sometimes it drops the network completely and then reboots itself and the light goes orange again and the wifi says 'on' rather than connected.

As I run a home business it's pretty important that i get this working again!

thanks for your help

James

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Have you updated the OS? 10.10.2 brought some wifi fixes.

3. James94l thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I've logged out of my user name and logged in as a guest and the internet seems fine, still a little slow but it's actually working.

I updated the software on my other user, would this transfer over to the guest one or is the update individual to the user?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

OS updates are systemwide and applies to the entire system.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Hmm. I wonder if you have come across the Yosemite wifi bug? I hope not if it's for your work because it's a nightmare to try and fix, I'm going through the same thing now.

There are loads of posts here, on the Apple forums and elsewhere about it.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Which router do you use?
    How far is the router from your iMac?

How simple would it be for you to just connect wired direct to your router?
    Assuming your router is working OK, that would at least give you a more stable connection.