Brand New iMac with RAM Problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HDShootsPhotos, Aug 27, 2011.

1. HDShootsPhotos macrumors newbie

So I recently got my iMac yesterday and decided to install Mushkin 2 x 4GB. Everything was going fine and and I even got a chance to install My Final Cut Studio, which took some time to do. I turned it back on later in the evening and i had to restart my computer due to installling little snitch and when i did, it shows the apple symbol and than gives me the 3 beeps. Figured it was a RAM issue but when i plugged in the original RAM I still got the 3 beeps. Plugged in the Mushkin RAM sticks and it also gave me problems.

Could all of my sticks fried up or could it be an internal issue with the board...

27" iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5 1 TB Sata Drive

2. HDShootsPhotos thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it work with one stick or do I need to install in pairs...

I also have a meeting with the Genius bar in an hour too so if they cant help me im going to try that as well

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

It will work with one stick, but it'll just run in single channel mode. No big deal for testing, but there will be slightly to noticeably less performance.

4. HDShootsPhotos thread starter macrumors newbie

alright just came back from the apple store and it seems like the Mushkin RAM I installed somehow corrupted some of my OS Files. Had to repair those corrupted files and it seems like its doing fine now...

Sooo, does anyone recommend a brand of RAM to upgrade with?

5. Texran macrumors regular

I bought these, working great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YUF8ZG