Brand new iPad 2 White - black scratches on back

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ajns23, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ajns23 Guest

Hey all,

Just wanted some advise i got a brand new iPad 2 on the weekend and when i got it home its got perfectly alligned perfectly staight scratches on the back of the device they are black faint lines. now i havn't done it as it hasn't been touching a bare surface without being on something.

Do you think this could be a production thing? and who should i contact? i bought the device from comet.

Thanks.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Take it back to Comet. If it's a production fault they'll replace it.

3. pw3180 macrumors newbie

I agree. Take it back to Comet as it wasn't in the condition one would expect from receiving a brand new product. It falls under the category of not receiving goods as they should in the condition described. Brand new would imply without a blemish, and therefore this doesn't satisfy that and wood fail under the Sale of Goods Act.

4. ajns23 thread starter Guest

Thanks for your help! comet are going to love me, i took back some headphones because of a problem with them and then kicked up a fuss and they kindly swapped it for this ipad! haha. oh well!

5. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I got similar black "markings" (about 2 of them) on the brand new iPad 2 that I bought at the beginning of the month, which I've already sold it off. Maybe those 2 iPad units are from the same batch? Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get an exchange from the retailer that I bought from, but at least, you are still able to go get an exchange.

Good luck. :)

6. ajns23 thread starter Guest

Glad to know someone else is having the same problem! its very stange the one of the right is towards the top and the one of the left is towards the bottom.

Will be taking it back tonight for an exchange / refund

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Interesting. Beneath the paint should be aluminum. Makes me wonder if to meet orders for white iPads they simply repainted some black ones. Scratch the white and you'll find the black paint beneath.

8. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Had the same thing with my first 2 iPads. There are a world of production defects with the iPad 2, in my opinion. Little things, I'm OCD, that I notice on the white one. Finally got a good enough replacement 4+ months ago and its great. But MBA never has defects, from what I've seen. The build on the Air is crazy good, makes me want it. But I could afford an iPad, and I'm lucky I can! Give it back, they'll exchange you in no time. No worries. And you'll love your iPad.

Best of luck :)

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Do yours look like the ones in the following pictures?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Those are the ones that were found on my iPad 2 straight out of its Apple retail box. I bought this iPad earlier this month, but have since sold it. :(

10. UKBeast macrumors 6502

I have got 3 scratches like yours on my ipad 3, it was not there when i opened the box but somehow they appeared even though I am using it in case they appear in time.

Any solution about the issue ?

11. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

The Aluminum isn't painted, its anodized. Also the colour of the bezel is under the glass so you wont be able to scratch it.

OP, you would probably be able to rub the marks off, or clean them off with some solvent which is safe to use on metals. But if you can replace it go for it and open it up instore.

12. dchao macrumors 6502a

It looks like machine tooling scratch marks. If it happens to your, the same thing would have happen to the whole batch. QC is really going downhill from Foxconn. :(

Yep, return it.

13. UKBeast macrumors 6502

the black little scratches are likely to be recognized as marks rather than a scratch it is visible under strong light if looked deliberately to identify it. i am not sure they were there from the day i bought but i always use it with case.

i thought it was a malfunctioning issue of the case i am using until i saw those photos claiming they have been there right out of the box.

is it case or the apple?

how can get rid of these tiny black marks?

14. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

15. UKBeast macrumors 6502