brand new iPhone 5S, should I put iOS 8 on it?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BlockEight88, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

My sister just got a brand new 64GB iPhone 5S. It came with iOS 7.1.1. I read that 8 has slowed older devices down. Which operating system would be better for the phone? 7.1.1 or 8.1? Thanks guys.

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Keep it on 7.1.1. That version of fine for 7. Do NOT upgrade to iOS 8 by any means. Its awful and buggy.

3. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

brand new iPhone 5S, should I put iOS 8 on it?

A 5S handles iOS 8 just fine. Are there some bugs? Yes, but the OS is certainly not awful. 8.1.2 and 8.1.3 have made quite a number of improvements in stability. Plus iOS 8 has features like continuity and handoff that are unavailable to iOS 7.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's more or less what it comes down to.

5. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

What he said. ^^^

6. newellj macrumors 601

When I had a 5S, it ran iOS 8 just fine. It was neither slow nor buggy on that phone. iOS 8.1.3 should run at least as well having said that, if you don't need the features and if doesn't limit the apps you can install or upgrade, it isn't compelling. As you know, you can't go back.

7. marvz, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I bet you and mostly your sister (no offense) won't notice any difference in performance.

And then there are some nice improvements like Quick Reply, Continuity & Handoff, and particularly app extensions which are just awesome! Don't forget Apple Watch support and things like HomeKit and HealthKit.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I have an iPhone 5 w/ 16 GB. This is the original 5 model. And I've run everything from 6.x to the current 8.1.3 version. And I haven't had any problems with slowing down, lag, or anything else.

If my phone can run it fine, then a 5s should be able to run it without any issue. Your 5s has a more powerful processor than my phone.

There's opinions about various iOS versions. But those are primarily relating to preferences such as visual aspects.

8.1.3 is stable. And I have more things that finally work that were broken in 7.x. I can AirPrint, AirPlay, and I haven't had one crash since upgrading to version 8.x.

7.x was buggy all the way through. Generally, it was good. It was reliable. But it's wireless syncing, AirPlay, AirPrint, and remote controlling AppleTV never worked for me with 7.x.

With 8.1.3 I simply can't find anything that doesn't work. And, the iPhone 5 is fast and smooth on it.

9. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

8.1.3 is stable to me.
    I have an iPhone 4s, 5c, 6 all running it
    iPad 4, iPad Air running it

I kept my iPad mini on 7 however.

10. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

So this morning I did a clean restore of 8.1.3 and set everything up as new on a 64Gb iPhone 5S. For the most part its completely fine. The only thing that I have noticed is that the animations are sometimes jerky or stutter. That's about it. Some apps like the weather app are not smooth scrolling either. At times, swiping to the next homescreen can cause a stutter. I do not know why iOS 8 has this? I kind of wish I had kept it on 7.1.1 now

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Don't sweat it. iOS 9 will be even better. Also, spotlight search may be indexing files so check the behavior of the phone again in a few days.

12. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought. I read iOS 9 will improve optimization, so that's good. I'm just hoping the iPhone 5S can perform like brand new again. :/ Hopefully its just not focused on the iPhone 6 series.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

iOS 8 runs fine on my wife's iphone 5. It will be fine :)

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If you have a Mac new enough to use Continuity and Handoff - upgrade. It's as simple as that.

If you don't, then it's up to you. Just know that iOS 7 isn't getting security updates any more, so being on the latest version keeps you safest.

15. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

App Extensions are also a big Yes for updating.

16. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

Can you explain how "security updates" help me? How would I be affected if I were still on 7?

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, the simple ones are vulnerabilities in iOS 7 that were patched in iOS 8, but which were never fixed in iOS 7. Some of which can be particularly nasty:
    http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/ios-8-has-arrived-biggest-update-packed-with-security-fixes/
    Some of these can directly put you at risk of revealing private information, like credit card numbers entered in to websites, to people monitoring WiFi traffic.

18. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

That clears it up. Thanks. So I guess it would be safer to always be on the latest os.

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Not if his sister has a Macbook then it is not worth to upgrade to 8.1.3 for the sake of Continuity and Handoff! :apple:

20. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The weather app is like that on every device, hopefully fixed in iOS 9.

21. vista980622 macrumors 6502

iOS 8 has little performance hit on iPhone 5s, if this is what you're worrying about.

But I do feel the need to tell you, there are many, many tiny bugs in iOS 8 that can disrupt your daily workflow. One of the examples are text selection works unreliably in Safari and can cause auto-scrolling and crashes.

Again, none of these bugs, by themselves, is a deal-breaker. But when added together, the experience may not be as pleasant as it can be.