Brand new iPhone 6S Plus, what to look out for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JButtonMCL, Oct 11, 2015.

1. JButtonMCL macrumors member

So I just bought a brand new iPhone 6S Plus and I'm curious if there are any known defects or problems associated with the 6S/6S Plus? Be it hardware/software or quality control etc.

Also what else should I check or look out for that isn't "normal"? As I'm still within the 14 day window and can exchange or return it for another brand new device.

Dead pixels? Does anyone have a website/app to check for dead pixels?
    Camera issues? Aren't people experiencing some issues with pictures being taken with the 6S/6S Plus?
    Performance issues? I've seen someone's iPhone 6S Plus was running a lot slower than the benchmark. What is the app to check how your iPhone is performing?
    Exterior blemishes?
    Screen issues?

What else am I missing?

Thanks everyone! Loving the phone so far!

2. techspin macrumors 6502a

Battery life. Most common benchmark app is Geekbench. If you enjoy your phone how you use it now, deliberately searching for all possible issues is not a road you want to continue down. At least keep in mind, brand new iPhones may have many more issues than your current unit.

3. freedomisle macrumors regular

Bottom Left Side of screen: screen blemish. Appears as a dark blotch. Severity varies but most have it to some degree.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My advice would be that if you can't see any dead pixels then don't go installing a dead pixel spotting app. I haven't done because if I can't see any in normal use then I'm not bothered.

On most if not all 6S+ there is a dark blotch on the lower left hand portion of the screen. This will vary in intensity, some are more pronounced than others. I have it but the blotch is slight and again it doesn't bother me.

Other display problems can be uneven backlighting, dark shading, and a yellow tint. Again if your screen looks fine to you then don't worry, all LCD screens are different and very few are 'perfect'. This is a mass-produced component in a mass-produced phone.

Other things to look out for are loose buttons and scratches.

Finally, the battery. Everyone's usage pattern is different and certain tasks & apps will drain the battery a lot faster than others. As will the carrier you're on and the signal strength you're getting. Anything from 8 hours to 12+ is perfectly normal battery life from a 6S+. Some people even get 14+ hours from theirs but this is extremely rare and usually involves listening to a lot of music with the screen off. My average is around 11 hours but that is mainly using Safari over WiFi and precious little else. On days when I use sat nav and several apps which use GPS, I get nearer 8 hours.