iPhone 6(+) Brand new iPhone 6S with 10.3.2 installed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darrylcn, Mar 13, 2018.

1. darrylcn, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

darrylcn macrumors regular

Hi, this seems odd to me but I don't have a ton of experience - we just bought a 128 6S to replace my wife's 16 GB iPhone 6 on 9.3.5. Oddly (I think) her new phone has 11.x downloaded but not installed. It's running 10.3.2. So the phone existed post iOS 11 but it only has 10.3.2 on it and not 10.3.3. In terms of timing this seems like an odd chain of events to me, is it a bit weird? I was expecting 11 to be installed but thankfully not.

Attached Files:

2. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

3. darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

Haha I'm probably just about the least likely person on this forum to even think about updating. No worries there. My 6S Plus is on 10.3.3 still so it will be fun to have her new phone on the same OS. We kept her 6 on 9.3.5 too with the profile installed but sadly it will be sold. I hope whoever gets it appreciates that it's fast still vs how it could be.

4. Scotty2Hotty macrumors member

Scotty2Hotty

I bought a new 6s Plus in September 2017 just as iOS 11 was being rolled out... mine came with iOS 10.2 and was manufactured in 1/2017. Where it was for 9 months is beyond me

5. darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that is odd. I wonder if hers got powered on long enough to download 11. It still needed to be activated this eve so I don't know. Seemed factory sealed to me. At any rate I'm excited. It sure was awesome powering it up. I was trying to determine whether the wifi password keyboard was 10 or 11 and got nowhere then when No Service changed to dots instead of bars for signal.. oh man that was cool to see.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

My current primary phone is a 6s+. Launch weekend iPhone, running iOS 9.0.2.

7. darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

Ha that's fantastic. I regretted updating my 6S Plus from 9.3.5 for months because it became possessed by satan when I updated to 10 but I figured it out eventually and it's great to the point that I feel like I'd miss 10 if I put 9 on it. Before the INSANE bugs were resolved (see my posts from a year ago or so) I hated 10. Pardon the fantasy world moment cause we know that downgrades can't happen but just for example. I really like iOS 10 a lot now.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

iOS 10 is okay. I have an iPhone 5 running 10.3.3, but I try to stay as low as I can on my primary phone. It makes jailbreaking easier.

I'm sitting on one of the last fully untethered jailbreaks with 9.0.2. My 5 is jailbroken now too, but it's semi-untethered.

9. darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

My two 5 are on 7.1.2, I'm in the same boat (keeping primary phone low) just for a different reason.

10. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Yes a new 6S may come with a very old iOS. It may also appear to be up to date if the date and time is incorrect.

12. darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

The odd part to me was that it was on an old version but had 11 downloaded. If it was built at a time to have 11 ready to install I was surprised it wasn't on it. And on top of that the version installed isn't the final 10.x, it's 10.3.2. Struck me as a bunch of odd timing. And the iOS will show up to date alright, it's got the TvOS profile on it :)

13. now i see it macrumors 68020

It's amusing to note that not a single person on any of the many threads throughout all of MacRumors forums or blogs has recommended installing iOS 11 if their phone already had a previous version of software on it. Zero. None.
    That's pretty bad. Early iOS 9 was bad, but it cleaned up fine by .3.5, but it seems that 11 is mired in so many pitfalls. Worst OS in IOS history.

14. darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

I'd even give it a whirl if the stakes weren't so high. Having no chance to go back when I'm already happy with 10 means no deal for me.

15. I7guy macrumors P6

I’m on 11.3b5 with my 6s and wouldn’t go back to iOS 10 if I had the option. First the 6s is screaming fast. Second some critical vulnerabilities have been patched in iOS 11.

16. darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

Glad it's coming around. My intent was to install 11.3 upon release given what I've been reading here however that was when I was assuming 11.1 or something would be on the phone when it was opened. My dad updated his 7 to 11 from 10 though so I'll DFU it and put 11.3 on it if it keeps looking as good as it is.

17. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Agreed. I spent some time using a friend's iPhone SE on 11.2 and even that version was buttery smooth. I understand that some people are afraid of updates, but most of the issues that plagued 11.0 have been taken care of.

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have read the SE performs pretty well on iOS 11, but I'm still not sold on it. Hence why I have kept my SE on 10.3.3 (especially since it's not my daily driver).