Brand new iPhone 7+ with terrible battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ti Rider, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Ti Rider macrumors member

I preordered a new matte black 128 gb 7+ from ATT. I received it a few days ago. I generally like it but have a major issue with battery life. With normal usage it's down to 65% at lunch by 7 pm it's at 30%. This is with no gaming and without watching much video. Just Safari, messaging, and phone. Did I get a bad phone?

I have Location Services off, Bluetooth off, I just turned Auto Dim on. Are there any new features that would chew through my battery at a crazy rate? Any tricks to salvaging a new phone with a questionable battery?

2. justdefend macrumors member

Having the same issue. I've had it since launch and noticed that the same apps are just draining the battery on iOS 10. Right now culprits include Twitter and Facebook Messenger. I think the apps currently aren't optimized and I'm hoping future updates solve the problem.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Do you live, work in area with poor cellular signal?

4. Ti Rider thread starter macrumors member

No I have between three and four bars at home and work.

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I have fantastic battery life. If you restored your phone from a backup I would recommend not doing this. I always setup as new and re-sync all my data. This helps prevent weird issues many experience from syncing old backup files.

I also do not use Facebook messenger or twitter.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Facebook messenger might be a contributor to your battery drain.

7. Ti Rider thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, I restored from backup of my 6+ then immediately updated to 10.0.2. I don't have Facebook Messenger or Twitter but so far I'd describe my battery as poor. So poor I thought my phone was bad out of box but reading through the posts it's apparently very common.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Post a screen of your battery usage. Maybe someone can help with that info. You have to understand, "normal usage" is a very relative term.

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I also have Bluetooth on to my Apple Watch all day. Try turning off background app refresh as well. I don't use my phone constantly but I'm usually around 50% when I charge at night.

10. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

iOS 10 spends the first day or so indexing your photos and so on. I noticed my battery draining the first day or two, then it went back to normal. Maybe see if it settles down first?