Brand New IPhone DOA

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SparkiePerth, Dec 12, 2009.

1. SparkiePerth macrumors newbie

Yesterday I walked into a store and asked to upgrade my mobile phone, the girl convinced me that the IPhone 3G S was the way to go. She set about showing me a few features on her own phone. She tried to charge it up for me and because they were having a computer issue told me to go away for an hour so she could charge it up using the power. To cut a long story short. I came back and was given the instructions take it home charge it up over night and if it doesnt work bring it back and we will send it off and you will have to WAIT until apple confirms it doesnt work...

Has anyone got any solutions - Ive read a lot on here about changing, power points and computers. Ive done all that = the best I get in a power point is the battery with the red strip and after 12 hours of charging the same battery. The computer doesnt charge at all - the only thing I get is the apple symbol on the phone. If I cant find a solution I am going to have to take it back and wait for a replacement, Can anyone give me any advice. Thanks

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What store did you walk into? Your battery sounds faulty. You "should" be able to walk into an Apple store and get a replacement on the spot. I don't understand this "bring it back and we will send it off and you will have to WAIT until Apple confirms it doesn't work."

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My first 3GS was DOA as well. It would turn on but it would go into a continuous apple logo loop. Wouldn't restore or go into recovery mode. I took back got a replacement within a matter of minutes. Then that 3GS had a dead GPS chip in it and would not locate me whatsoever. Went back for a third time in 1 week got a brand new replacement and it works flawlessly. If they give you a problem for wanting a replacement just return it and repurchase it, you have 30 days to do so. They must return it within 30 days of original purchase and then you can repurchase it at the same price. If they have a problem with the 30 day policy contact a carrier store. By law you have 30 days when signing up, or renewing a contract to cancel it and go back to how it was prior to the upgrade..

Hope that helps

4. Bungle73 macrumors member

You shouldn't have left the shop with anything less than a fully working iPhone. TBH as soon as they started with the wait for Apple crap I would have left and gone somewhere else.

Take it back and demand a replacement!

5. SparkiePerth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advise. Yesterday I went back into the store and they took it off me and told me that they didnt have the 16gb in stock but if I wanted to travel to another store they have one and will hold it for me. So today I went into that store to get the phone and was told they couldnt give it to me I have to wait a week for confirmation that the phone is actually DOA.....

After complaining to the phone company and Im still waiting on a phone call from the Manager, there is apparently nothing I can do, they took the other phone off me yesterday to send away...Kinda annoyed..

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Not to blame you as the customer, but you TOTALLY should have gone to an Apple store is that was feasible. They'd replace it instantly as any 3G S is less than a year old; thus it's 1 year AppleCare Warranty is still valid and would most definitely cover this.

7. Bungle73 macrumors member

Obviously I don't know the laws in Australia but if I had that kind of treatment I'd kick up a stink! If a shop sells me something that is faulty at the time of sale I expect to have it replaced immediatly, or be given a refund. That's the way it would work here anyway.

8. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

This sounds like one of the worst displays of customer service I have ever heard of. To send a customer out of the store with a non-working phone and then have the cheek to tell them that they cannot replace it because they dont have the stock and THEN to deny them a replacement from another store.
    What difference does it make if the one he was given originally was DOA or fully working?
    He still doesn't have the phone either way and Apple/Phone company wont lose out if the original phone is working as they still have it and the customer would have the one in stock from the other store.

I agree with the other people and wouldn't have left without a working phone from the 2nd store you were sent to. I wouldn't have left the first store in the first instance without a working phone. I would have just refused to upgrade at that point and waited until they had the stock.