Brand new iPhone not plugging well into 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RolandNights, Feb 16, 2012.

1. RolandNights, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I just got a brand new iPhone about 2 days ago. I've been on it almost non-stop, tinkering around with settings, messing around with Siri, and downloading and toying with new apps. Typical new user stuff.

Anyway, last night I realized my iPhone was having trouble staying plugged into my mid-2010 MBP. Even though it was solidly plugged in, it would suddenly stop charging, then reconnect, then stop charging, the reconnect. It was pretty annoying because then you start getting those 'iTunes could not recognize iPhone" pop-ups.

After awhile, I noticed that it mainly happens when I first connect the iPhone to my computer, then after awhile it settles down. The cord DOES seem sensitive, though; as in, if I touch the cord or move the phone around much, it's prone to disconnect. Last night was the only time it did it in the middle of just charging.

Here's what I've noticed after a little experimenting:

• The disconnect/reconnect issue happes when I'm both plugged in to the Apple Wired Keyboard's USB port AND directly into the MBP
    • The issue occurs if I even change iPhone sync cables
    • This does NOT happen if I'm charging my iPhone using the AC adapter
    • Might be irrelevant, but I feel like it's easier to take the USB cable out of this iPhone compared to my 2010 iPod Touch
    • This issue does not occur when I connect my iPhone to a battery pack (i.e. Mophie Juice Pack)
    • Lastly, if I connect my iPhone to a Mophie Juice Pack then use the any Micro USB cable to connect the iPhone to my computer, this issue does not happen.

Is something wrong with my computer?

**Updated: After 10 minutes of being plugged into a Mophie Juice Pack (with the Juice Pack charging the iPhone by itself) I got an error saying the iPhone does not support the charging with this accessory. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the phone and I hope it wasn't caused by the Juice Pack.**

**Update X2**: I plugged my iPhone into a different computer (specifically my brother's 2009 iMac), and the phone was having the same issue.**

2. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

The computer is in an active state the whole time it's plugged in? Might be a hardware problem with the laptop's usb port. Sounds like something that, since you can easily duplicate it, you should bring in and show to the folks over at the apple store.

Alternatively you could just turn on wifi syncing and forget about plugging the phone into your computer, since it charges fine with just the adapter.

3. RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

The computer was in an active state when the issue started occurring.

I didn't have the issue for the first day and a half, but now that the Mophie Juice Pack showed its own charging error, do you think it might just be the phone unit itself, then? For example, maybe the computer's USB and the Mophie Juice Pack aren't able to support the same amount of charging power as my AC outlet and for some reason this iPhone just needs that much?

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

you have to test every variable involved. The computer, the cord, the phone.

Sounds like you've successfully tested the computer variable by plugging into your brothers machine. Not sure how you tested it with the mophie but I'd leave that out of the equation for now... use a different cable if you have access to one. Does it still behave badly with the 2nd cable? If yes, then you've ruled out the computer and the cable... all that's left is the phone and my guess would be there's a problem with the 30-pin connetor on the phone.

Just my thoughts!

5. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

Oh, I missed the part where you indicated that you tried the phone on another computer and USB ports with the same problem. I think the other poster is right, it sounds like a problem with the phone. I'm sure they will just swap you out for a replacement if you can demonstrate the problem at the apple store (assuming you live close enough to one).

6. RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input guys! I even tried it in my car (it has iPod integration via USB) and while it the USB hiccuped ONCE, it was more stable than it was on my computer. Not sure why.

Do you think Sprint will swap it out? They're closer than the Apple Store.

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

If you're within your 14 days (most carriers give you 14 days) then yes...

EDIT: Yes I *think* so. no guarantee. call first.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, for warranty service you have to contact Apple not Sprint.