Brand New iPhone Stolen, Need Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ResCommunis, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ResCommunis macrumors newbie

So, believe it or not, I was one of the first three people on the release date for the iPhone 5S and camped out to become my initiation into the Apple iPhone series. I'm a first-time iPhone user (fmr. Android), so I was happy to upgrade to an iPhone, especially being the latest one. I bought the factory unlocked 64 version on t-mobile.

Unfortunately, I had it stolen in a room with other people. I didn't precisely see it happen when I moved around in the room, but I realized it was missing right after everyone left and there were a bunch of warning signs that it happened. Unfortunately, found out too late to catch the possible people who could've nabbed it. Before I called LE and right after it was gone, I had the phone called immediately and went right to voice mail. Pinged FMI and it was offline, still have not gotten a notification of it found yet. This was immediately after the event as I had my laptop on me and the iPhone had half the battery, so it didn't just randomly die. I know they were experienced because they turned it right off.

Lesson learned, get a phone holster on your belt (no matter how tacky it looks) and strictly keep it in there when you're not using it. And if you suspect it's lost, assume it's stolen and immediately call LE. Get the people that were with you to stop and look for it while LE comes, and if one of them runs off, it's obvious. Backtrack and just be generally aware to know who was last around you, where people are in the room, etc. The LE have a job for a reason and get them there to apprehend the suspects. If it's just lost, that's fine, better safe than sound when you are dealing with hundreds of dollars. And if it occurs and you know the suspect, call LE and have them chased, call the carrier, and immediately FMI pinging it. Always have location and data services on and a decent charge. Consider pursuing criminal charges on the LE reports and, when positively identified, file civil suits for respective losses undergone that are which legally available in your jurisdiction to burn these pieces of trash, scum-of-the-earth. In some jurisdictions, stealing and selling items of this value will get you a felony. Make these filthy criminals burn and get a record and some jail time. This business is hot because people aren't doing ANYTHING about it. So DO something. Since this stuff is probably small-to-medium claim type stuff, you could do the filing without an attorney, although I recommend consulting with one prior to any legal action. I bought this with real money, legally paid for, not stealing from anyone, while working at my job and they just grab it all right from me. That's unacceptable and no one should take that AT ALL.

Additionally, if you are buying and suspect the seller is criminal or is selling stolen items unknowingly, contact LE, get their descrip., ID, license plate, etc. during sales. Consider bill of sales for purchases to protect yourselves in the event you accidentally purchase a blacklisted phone. You should avoid buying used AT ALL as the phone could secretly be defected, water-damaged, or stolen and could be blacklisted at any time and there's NOTHING you can do about it. If you just buy new, you avoid all of the trouble, have 100% guarantee of quality on the phone, have a method of return, full warranty coverage, and cannot possibly be purchasing a stolen phone. Don't feed this underground market.

Last, but not least, do not take matters into your own hands when confronted by the robber/thief/situation. Let LE handle it and get as much info as possible and QUICKLY as possible contact LE and follow-up quickly, get a report, etc.

Anyways, I'm so pissed off because I paid so much money for this phone ($800 + up front) and waited all night for it. I used it for everything and that idiot ran off with it. I got it carrier (T mobile) blacklisted within an hour, but do I have a chance of getting it back? Can it really be sold being blacklisted? How can they still use it? etc. The iPhone was on the latest OS, fyi. Since this is the latest iPhone and on a relatively newer carrier, shouldn't it be stricter with blocking?

2. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Sorry for the loss of your new phone. I've had an iPhone 5 stolen earlier this year and had to replace it, sucks but what can ya do? You're probably not gonna get it back, your best chance was immediately after. Did you have a password and Activation Lock turned on?

Not to hand you more bad news, but I know someone who is using an unlocked Galaxy S4 phone that was blacklisted by T-Mobile and it works perfectly fine on AT&T. Apparently TMo only blocked it from using their network and not outside of it. So somebody can be using it. With my iP5 it was a contract phone for AT&T so when they blacklisted it there was no way to use it as an actual phone again. Good luck with the whole situation, once you get another phone you'll almost forget about it.

3. ResCommunis thread starter macrumors newbie

What can you do? Report it to LE and hunt the person down who did it. Pursue criminal charges and civil charges once LE finds the guy. Yes, I had it locked-- passcode and fingerprint authentication enabled.

I've read stuff saying for the unlocked iPhones on T-Mobile, and I found that it's blacklisted from being used on anything in the US. Also, if someone tries to activate it or use it, will it ping their location to T-Mobile? Lol, I spent over $800 on this phone. I'm not forgetting about it at all. This makes me regret my choice becoming an iPhone user.

What Apple needs to do:

1. Require passwords for shutdown and factory resetting
    2. Allow an option for only fingerprint authentication for all password functionality
    3. Allow an on-board GPS to be pinged independent of the OS to help LE find the phone at the permission of the legal owner.

4. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Dude, really?? You are telling Apple what to put on iPhones because you screwed up and left your phone laying around in a room with other people.

Lesson 1-never leave your phone unattended.
    Lesson 2-never leave your wallet unattended.
    Lesson 3-car keys, same as above.
    Lesson 4-anything of value, same as above.

Don't expect LE to do much, they have much bigger fist to fry. If they do catch who took it, by all means press charges.

Sorry to hear this happened, hope you get it back.

p.s. If had been your android phone it would not have been stolen, they are crap!

:apple:

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What is LE? Law Enforcement? Larry Ellison?

Anyway hope you locked it via iCloud, that'll make it a brick. Also check your home insurance or credit card company to see if you're covered for replacement insurance.

6. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

You cannot factory reset a phone with find my iPhone turned on. Since turning find my iPhone off requires a password, #1 has already been implemented.

I think Apple has done everything that should be done to deter thieves.

It's unfortunate that you had your phone stolen. I guess you learned a very expensive lesson.

7. ResCommunis, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

ResCommunis thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you're a little bit oversimplifying this whole ordeal. I never left the room, quickly returned to my little area after getting up to move around, and it was in a room with people I knew relatively well. I didn't think that moving around in the same room in a matter of seconds to return to where my phone was would contribute to getting a stolen phone. Nonetheless, I advise people to have total paranoia when it comes to losing or getting their phone stolen. We live in an age full of thieves and people who love to exploit one another cowardly.

Lesson 2, 3, and 4 are the most obvious. I really advise people to rethink their definitions of "safe" and "safe people." Anyone can be a criminal these days.

----------

There has to be some JB work-around. If the phone's blacklisted, it's been pinged FMI, then what are their options?

No, the shutdown part would really be necessary to prevent the most obvious circumvention of GPS monitoring-- turning the phone off. You can't ping FMI when it's turned off.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

JB = Jail Break?

There's no workaround if you locked it via iTunes. The thief would need to enter the password you set when locking it.

9. TPadden macrumors 6502a

If I couldn't leave my phone out with people I knew relatively well I'd ask my parole officer for a better list of people to associate with :cool:.

10. ResCommunis thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't believe it. There has to be some way they can use it. There must be a JB available to reflash the whole thing, port on a new IMEI, and distribute this thing. They aren't going to be hanging onto this thing for this long and not make any money off of it.

The only order thing I can think of is if I left it unlocked accidentally when I got up, meaning the phone was not locked and was not in the lock screen and opened to some app. This probability is very low, but if this is the only way they could've got around FMI and everyone, then how? What could they have done with the phone unlocked, but with a password/fingerprint authentication still engaged, etc.?

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Did you lock it with find my iPhone (iCloud.com not iTunes oops)? If so then you're the only one that can unlock it if you ever get it back (don't forget that password). No known workarounds.

12. ResCommunis thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I did not mean friends. In the sense that these are co-workers/colleagues that I've been around for months. Not known outside of that, but have been around them for months.

13. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Then they may be OK with the parole officer but for heaven's sake don't leave your wallet out .......;).

14. ResCommunis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, immediately after it was stolen. It's pending lock and sound mode, which I think is inclusive of the locking mechanism when I went through lost mode.

But if it was turned off immediately before I got to FMI, then pinging it won't matter!

Also, if they can't work around anything even if the phone was still on and, let's say, they engaged airplane mode to prevent FMI and carrier pinging subsequent to blacklisting, then why are they still keeping it if they can't use it, sell it, etc.?

15. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Who knows what they're doing with it. Maybe they threw it under a truck. Contact you CC or homeowners insurance see if you're cover for a replacement. Else learn an $800 lesson and buy another phone.

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if i was a thief, i'd dunk the stolen phone in water and sell the device for parts, or i'd take it to an apple store and get an out of warranty replacement. new iphone for $270 which i can sell for $500+

17. ResCommunis thread starter macrumors newbie

Just trying to figure out if there's a way to recover it. Sorry, I don't like bending over to criminals if that's something you're inclined to doing. Also, I don't have $800 just lying around, obviously. I'm not rich.

----------

Wouldn't they be able to identify the stolen IMEI and reject it/report it to LE?

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple's going to record the serial number and ask the person brining it in for ID.

Did you contact your home owners insurance or did you buy using a credit card?

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm guessing a lot of folks don't know about activation lock yet. Stolen iPhones will not have as much value as they had previously.

Additionally, I would imagine that the phone was parted out. All the pieces besides the main circuit board inside are still functional even if the activation lock is in place.

20. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think they check for that.

yes, but what are they going to do with that?

21. ResCommunis thread starter macrumors newbie

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXZ6yUsn0v8

This makes me feel like **** for buying an iPhone.

Also, I wish FMI was only known really by LE and Apple to communicate in the event the owner reported the phone stolen. Because everyone knows about it now, it's obvious to circumvent it.

----------

Yes, there's a possibility we can get a replacement. Just I'm more concerned about getting the phone back then filing a bunch of claims. I want to hunt this person down and get them.

22. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

23. mateo124 macrumors regular

Yeah thanks for that video. Regardless, I'm pretty sure this is only possible within 24 hours of stealing the phone, as touchID is disabled after 24 hours. Very few people will be able to replicate whats seen in that video in with so little effort.

24. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

Yeah I was thinking the same regarding that. As for the password, mine is 13 characters long thanks to touchID. You can also disable control center from your lockscreen, but I don't because taking the SIM card out or turning the phone off are both easy enough.

In the end my question to the OP is, what cell phone out there would you prefer to have? Android Device Manager certainly has it's own issues. I don't know anything about how the new blackberry phones deal with it. So ...?

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sorry about you losing your phone but it's not Apple's fault that you left your valuable out. As others said, would you leave your wallet on the table?

Why the heck would you need a holster? Put it in your pocket.

In terms of the video:
    1. That's already fixed.
    2. Android doesn't even come with anything close to Activation Lock. (Yes some companies offers it but they are typically an extra, paid service)