Brand New iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DPK400, Jul 7, 2010.

1. DPK400 macrumors member

How much works on a brand new, unactivated iphone? Does the wifi work?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If by unactivated you mean not yet connected to iTunes then absolutely nothing.

3. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

I mean not activated by AT&T. This will be a new account from a ported number which won't port until I activate the phone. I am just curious what i can do with it before I activate my phone number on it. I would assume it will still connect to itunes without having the phone number activated on it.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can do absolutely nothing with the phone until it's activated on AT&T (in the US).

Actually I take that back, you can make emergency phone calls.

Besides, right now you can't even buy a new iPhone without signing up for a two year AT&T contract. Why don't you just have them port your number?

5. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

The phone will work for everything except 3G data and cell service. So you'll be able to do anything on wifi, even use skype to make calls.

6. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome. That is exactly what I hoped. Though I bet Facetime will not work without the 3G activation (even though it doesn't use it).

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That is entirely untrue. Don't listen to redbotsoftware.

8. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

Now I am confused. :confused: So without it being successfully on AT&T's network, it cannot be used on wifi?

9. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Correct. Out of the box the phone will do nothing but make an emergency call.

You must connect to itunes and activate in order to do anything on the phone.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Jimmy is right. If it's a brand new phone, it's not going to work until you plug into iTunes and agree to your two years.

A phone bought off craigslist or ebay, however, will be fully functional (minus cell service, of course) without having anything to do with AT&T so long as it was activated by the previous owner.

11. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

Ok this makes sense. I wasn't aware the itunes connection was the part that confirmed the contract. I thought the phone number I needed to dial to initiate the number port did that. Thanks for the info!