Brand New iPod Owner with some possibly stupid questions ;-)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Sep 26, 2008.

1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

So, I finally was able to get a hold of some iPod Touch's through Radio Shacks website the other day :D I was able to get mine as well as a few for my friends before they sold out... So, I was quite pleased.

They arrived today and I wripped into the box as quickly as I could and charged the puppy up. I was so excited to finally use one and see what it was all about, once it was charged I through a few videos, a few songs and some apps on real quick, just to play with it. So, I came across a few questions

1). Is there any way to sync the iPod without connecting it to the computer? As I mentioned, I just thorugh things on there randomly just so I could play with it tonight. I didn't really put anything on yet that I wanted to be on there, but I don't really want to recharge until the battery needs it, so I was just wondering if it can sync over the wi-fi or not.

2). Is it best to put the touch in sleep mode or actually turn it off? I'm not sure which way is the proper way or if there is different situations for each. Turning it off/on totally seems like it takes quite a while for this to be the way you are supposed to do it every time you use it, for the most part anyway.

3). Creating a playlist/choosing what to sync? I was kinding of wanting to create some playlists for my music, but whenever I create my own playlist, iTunes won't let me add any music to it, basiclly the only folders it will let me use are the ones that they have already there... Also, it seemed for pictures and things I could only select folders to sync to the touch, is there any way to sync only select photos and things instead of an entire folder?

4). Problem adding vidoes... I downloaded some of the TV shows from iTunes the other day and some of them were the HD versions, which also come with the regular version. When I added a show to my Touch I got a message saying I could not sync it because the iPod was not authorized for the vidoe, or something along those lines. But, when I went into my videos it showed up, but only one of them. Does this just mean I cannot put both versions onto the touch? I'm not sure which version actually added to the iPod, I just know one was there, if there is a way for me to check let me know if you need to know if it was the HD or not.

5). Dead pixel :( I was really excited when I first started using my touch because I didn't notice any screen issues, until I started watching a video and I noticed in the bottom corner there is one tiny dead pixel (very different from the PSP, when I had a dead pixel on there it looked like the size of a pen head, this is just noticeable) I'm just debating whether or not I should return it. It is so small it is kind of embarassing, but at the same time when I watch a video, my eye keeps pulling to that area and it becomes more noticeable. So, really, I have two questions for this, 1. Am I correct in thinking that leaving the screen with a dead pixel won't cause additional damage and as long as I don't have any now, they won't develop later? And 2. Can Radio Shack deny the return since it is so minor, even though the pixel is obviously there?

These actually the questions I originally wanted to post, but I forgot some, so hopefully the others will come back to me. I have been looking around for the answers, but couldn't find anything, so hopefully these haven't been answered already, if so I apolagize. And I'm sorry for all the questions, I almost feel like a new parent with this fragile little beauty (I've been carrying it around as if it is the lost iPod on Earth, which I should get over soon)

Thanks again for all your help!

2. mrdurdenad macrumors newbie

1)no wireless syncing, you can transfer files with air sharing, but not music or videos, although you can purchase both songs and apps from directly on to the touch.

2)Sleep, turning it off and then back on drains the battery conciderably.

3)I have no problem creating playlists, not sure whats going on with your Itunes. im not 100% sure about the photo sync. Im pretty sure with photos, you have to sync specific folders.

4)Ipod only takes non hd videos, If you plan on watching on the touch, i recoment downloading only the Standard version, unless you plan on watching the HD version on your comp.

5)I hastled with dead pixels on my psp endlessly and never got a flawless one, going thorugh about 6 of them. Ever since then ive just accepted dead pixlels as a part of LCD tech (unless there are allot of them), a dead pixel or 2 just isnt worth the hastle of exchanging and resyncing. Ive got one little dead pixel and truly never ever notice it unless i look for it. I would recommend just forgetting about it, if the rest of your touch is working fine, there are much worse flaws you risk finding if you exchange it.

Hope this was helpfull

Oh by the way, i have a question as well maybe you could help me out with, when you charge the touch or play graphic intensive games (like cro-mag or spore, not sure if youve purchased any games yet) does your ipod get warm at all, I notice that when i do the aforementioned activities mine gets warm, almost hot on the lower left corner (when held vertically). It stays cool when i watch videos or listen to music though. Just wondering if this is a regular occurance. Thanks in advance

Adrian D

3. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much for all your help... This really helps me out.

1). That's fine, no biggy, I was just curious if I was overlooking it.

2). Good, I thought that turning it off completely would be odd, since it takes some time... When do you recommend turning it all the way off? Just if you won't be using it for an extended period of time?

3). I will play around with it some more tomorrow. I was just so excited to finally use a touch (before now I've only seen the 1g in a case and I've never touched one before, to be honest I've never used any iPod before, so I was really impatient with this)

4). Probably should have looked into that first, I didn't realize HD didn't play on it... Lesson learned!

5). Wow, I guess I got lucky with my PSP then, I only went through 2 and one other one, but it had dust or something under the screen... I will use it some more and see if it still bothers me. I've been playing with it more tonight, and also tried solid screens of different colors and it didn't seem quite as bad as it originally was, so perhaps it won't bother me as much. If I can stop looking towards it, I think it will be okay, but right now as soon as I start a movie or something I see it and is a little annoying.

In regards to your question, I did notice that a little as well. I noticed it, I believe when I was watching a video, I didn't notice it as much with the games or apps, but I wasn't using any big apps. I just grapped the first three I had in iTunes. I will add some more tomorrow and and watch a little more closely to see what happens. But I definitely noticed it getting a little warm, close to the etched apple on the back.

Thanks again for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!

4. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

About the corner getting hot, mine does, but only when playing games like you said. Maybe that little processor in there is working hard.

5. mrdurdenad macrumors newbie

A part of me also thinks its related to processor heat, but, if it also heats up during battery charge in the exact same place, so maybe its something else. My expirience is that it heats up when the battery is in use, be it quick charging (like in the first hour of charging) or quick draining (like when playing games) is when it heats up, so it must be related to battery usage in general, i guess.

O and I-Want-Apples: in regards to when to turn the Ipod touch off, ive really only turned it off when i want to restart it (ive only done it once because it didnt want to connect to wifi), aside from that, unless you wont be using it for a couple of days you could turn it off, i guess...

6. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again. I've been putting mine in sleep mode and it works really great. It is a lot nicer than turning it off... Getting ready to charge for the second time, finally drained the sucker down to nothing!

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have never had a problem on any lcd screen including:
    2 original psp
    2 psp slims
    1 ipod touch 1g
    3 ipod nanos
    2 ipod videos
    laptops, monitors, tvs and more.

8. Britvolante macrumors newbie

Adding files?

Hi there, I'm a newbie to both the touch and iTunes, so here is my stupid question. Whenever I add content, Music especially, it seems I have to re- sync all my music files otherwise I only end up with the latest downloaded. This happens when adding albums from CD's. What am I doing wrong? Appreciate any help!

9. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks gan6660... I've never had any problems with an LCD until I got a PSP and then had several with the problem. Other MP3 players, game systems, monitors, etc. were all fine. The more I think about it, I think I am going to exchange it, also I've been having some other problems, so I think it is best to get it replaced.

Sorry Britvolante, I am new to iPods and iTunes as well and haven't really become acquainted with iTunes yet. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out with your question, but from my experience so far everything syncs each time, so I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

10. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I dont understand what you mean by having to re-sync iTunes, could you possible post a screenshot?
    (cmd+shift+3)

EDIT: and i-Want, make sure it's charged before you take it in, i made the mistake of taking my iPhone with no battery and a lot of dead pixels, they wouldn't believe me so i had to make another trip :)

11. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Evan... I am actually in the process of charging mine up now. I stayed up half the night playing a stupid game and drained my battery :D I'm going to take it in tonight and see what they say. They currently don't show any in stock in the store or online, so I'm not sure what they will do.

In regards to the other posters question, I think I may know what they are refering to, but I'm not sure. I think they are wondering if you have to have each item checked when you sync your iPod to iTunes? For example, say I have several apps, videos, music, etc. that I already have on my iPod, but I added some additional things to iTunes and want to sync it to the iPod. Everything that is already on there is checked in the list. So, when I sync the new stuff over, do I need to leave it checked so that it remains on the iPod or will it remain if I only leave the new items checked? I think that is what the poster was referring to, not certain, but hopefully this helps.

Thanks again!

12. Britvolante macrumors newbie

What I mean is that if I add a new CD album to itunes and then sync my ipod, I have to let i reload all my tracks, including the previously added ones, otherwise it seems to delete all the previously added ones already in my iPod. I tried managing the files manually by clicking the sync "recently added" box in the ipod control panel in itunes. I could try and get a screen shot, but not sure how too and how to then post it here...

13. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Make sure it's in your library, then on your iPhone's settings (in iTunes) check sync all songs and playlists and uncheck manually manage..
    See if that works.

14. Britvolante macrumors newbie