Brand new iPod touch 32GB owner

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wrldwzrd89, Jul 16, 2008.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hey, I can now consider myself in the iPod touch owners' group. :D

First thing I did was updated to 2.0... or tried to, anyway. Had to go through the process 3 times before it finally updated - first time it told me that the iTunes Store terms had changed. Second time it told me that my email address had changed, and I needed to verify it. Third time the transaction finally went through. The update process went smoothly after that.

After the iPod touch restarted itself, I was greeted with the not-entirely-unexpected message that my iPod touch and my iTunes library couldn't be synced due to lack of space on the iPod touch. Extra-special thanks go to Cassie for suggesting that I use a bit rate under 128 kbps - I ended up going with 96 kbps AAC, which, in my tests, sounded the same as the original Apple Lossless file, as far as I could tell - and I should get about a 7.5:1 space savings compared to Apple Lossless, which will make my library fit easily (it has 9716 songs and 2 movies).

...anyway, I'm happy about my purchase. I haven't tried the iPod touch's feature set very much yet, but what I have tried thus far I liked. :)

EDIT: As I write this, iTunes is busy converting all 9716 songs to 96 kbps AAC... I'm estimating I've got about 17 hours to go before it's all done.

2. chriswheat macrumors regular

96 kbps? You can't tell the difference between Apple Lossless and a 96 kbps AAC file? I find that hard to believe. I probably wouldn't go less than 128 kbps. I use 160 kbps for anything I rip.

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Congratulations on your purchase, I think you'll find it a pretty amazing device.

4. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Update: Gosh, this conversion process is taking a LONG time. 19 hours have passed since I started it, and it's past the halfway point... I let it run overnight last night, and I think I'm going to have to do the same tonight before it finishes.

The good news, though, is that once it's done I can put my music on my iPod, finally.

5. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

dasikes <---- JEALOUS of your 32GB Touch :D

I do love my 16GB. Still, though, who couldn't use more space? :)

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

ack! 96kbps AAC? If you weren't halfway done I would say use at least 128... I rip everything at 192 or 256kbps AAC.

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I guess you are trying to get ALL your music on your iPod touch?

8. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You are correct. I believe it would fit even if I used 128 kbps AAC, but I wouldn't have much free space left if I did that.

9. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Good luck.
    I personally don't see a need to carry every song I own with me. To each his or her own.
    I just like using iTunes to create smart playlists and pick for me.
    I do have certain bands (Paramore, Placebo, 3 Doors Down, Killers) I keep on my iPod touch all the time. As of right now I have 600+ songs, 8 music videos, 1 movie, and 48 pictures and still have 3gb left out of 8gb.
    Best of luck.

10. ricartedor macrumors member

The great use for smart playlists of course is that you can limit the size (in GB) that is used for music on your touch, and of course if you select songs by certain parameters - you're able to remove them as well... I often find that after a while i get bored of the same songs, so with playlists it's a breeze to just whip all the boring ones off and put new ones on - its much better, in my opinion, than having all my music on my device at once. Shuffle is a lot more pleasant when you have limited your music only to songs you want to listen to!

11. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I couldn't agree more. I can think of very few people (only one person, in fact) who (a) Has the ability to fill an 80 GB iPod AND (b) Actually listens to every-single-song on it.

I have WELL over 16 GB of music. However, I only put about 10GB on my iPod, and I know I don't listen to all of that. When I get sick of something, I take it off, when I want something, I add it. Simple.

I use the playlist method, too.

As said, though, to each his or her own. :)

12. Hoagus macrumors newbie

Mee Too

Just got a 32GB myself on Saturday. [Got my wife a 16GB iPhone, too.]

With the 2.0 firmware update, it's finally gotten to where I think it should have been on initial release. I had jury duty on Tuesday, and that would have been a lot more boring without my new toy (and the fee wifi).

So far, I'm liking it a lot. It's an amazing device. Holds all my music, some movies, my main photo portfolio and still has 11GB free.

Now I gotta learn all the tips and tricks to using it.

Hoag

13. waterbottle macrumors newbie

That's the thing.

Why do you want free space? It doesn't do anything for you. I'm more of a load it all up and remove stuff if I want something different added person.

14. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Suffice to say, the 96 kbps AAC conversion process did not go as well as I hoped. It did finally finish...

Two problems I noticed with it:
    1. A few songs sound significantly distorted at 96 kbps. Most don't, though - just so happens that the distorted ones are ones I didn't test first.
    2. The iPod touch's iPod function doesn't understand folders in iTunes. Why this is is utterly beyond me. The iPod classic handled this perfectly - why can't the iPod touch?

EDIT: Hey, at least I have all but 1 song committed to disc in its original Apple Lossless fidelity... so I can revert if I want to. It's just going to be a pain to manually recopy all those discs again.

15. whiteness macrumors member