Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jepherdedo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
It comes with 5.0.1 but there's an update to 5.1 do I want to do that before attempting to jailbreak my ipod touch 4g or should I just attempt to jailbreak it right now?

tryx52

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
It comes with 5.0.1 but there's an update to 5.1 do I want to do that before attempting to jailbreak my ipod touch 4g or should I just attempt to jailbreak it right now?

Don't update to 5.1 because as of now there's no untethered jailbreak for it. Just wait until it's released then update. As for now, you'd want to jailbreak on 5.0.1.

Axgema

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
Don't update to 5.1 because as of now there's no untethered jailbreak for it. Just wait until it's released then update. As for now, you'd want to jailbreak on 5.0.1.
I updated to 5.1, waited for untethered redsn0w jailbreak to come out, but took too long so i tried the tethered redsn0w jailbreak (0.9.10b6b) about 5 minutes ago. Now my iPod 4g is jailbroken (tethered) but has SBSettings, AndroidLock, Springtomize and works perfectly with no lag. The only issues I have is that 5.1 is too new, so Cydia tweaks aren't updated for that iOS version so some features don't work.

NoName94

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2012

Well, you have two choices.
1. You jailbreak right now (on iOS 5.0.1) and you get and untethered jailbreak.
2. You update to iOS 5.1 and you get an tethered jailbreak until the untethered jailbreak comes out (in a few weeks).

Some people say iOS 5.1 is a little bit faster and stable and the battery life is a little bit better. But, like I said, it's a tethered jailbreak and the untethered jailbreak is coming in maybe 1 month or more.

P.S.: If you update to iOS 5.1, don't forget to save your SHSH blobs if you want to downgrade to iOS 5.0.1 in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.