Brand new iPod Touch, Pay for 3.0 Software?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jamesr242, Jul 29, 2009.

1. jamesr242 macrumors member

I just got a brand new ipod touch with my macbook on June 29th and it came with 2.2.1 operating system. When I tried to update it, it asked me to pay. Shouldn't I be entitled to the 3.0 software for free since it was out when the ipod was purchased? How do I get it for free? Thanks

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, they all come with 2.2.1. That is what is advertised and what you are paying for. You don't get it for free. If you don't want to pay for it, you don't have to. Your device will still work with pretty much everything on your current firmware.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, you are not entitled to it. Just like the users who purchased first-generation iPod Touch's after 2.0. Those that purchase after the update will get the new OS.

4. jamesr242 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry, but that is absolute horse****! That would be like selling a new PC with ***** Windows 98. What a money grab!

5. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

So you think if you bought your touch a day after 3.0 was released you should get it for free, but if you bought your touch a day before 3.0 was released you shouldn't? Sorry, that's not how things work. Everone pays for 3.0.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not really; you would have known in advance what you're buying; if you didn't then why the heck did you dole out the money in the first place. Besides this is a different; it's like expecting Windows 98 Second Edition, but getting the regular one instead.

7. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

If it makes you feel better, had it been a free update you could have downloaded it for no charge :D

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple!

I went through the same crap last year: 1.4 was released a week after I purchased my iPod Touch and I had to pay for the "January software update" -- for an iPod Touch that was purchased in that very same January.

Then I bought the 2.x update.

And now I decided NOT to purchase the 3.x software update. And I also decided quite a long time ago never to purchase another iPod product again.

9. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Except for iPhone users, who strangely enough get it for free.

10. pprior macrumors 65816

I have to agree with the OP that it's bizarre that you buy a new Ipod, the new software is out, but they give you the old software and then want to pay to "upgrade."

There's just something not right about that.

I just got a new ipod touch for my son (free with MBP after rebate) and I'll pay to upgrade it as I'm used to hte apple tax by now, but although typically I don't complain, this one doesn't sit right with me.

11. Macfisto macrumors member

Not that I want to start another MS/Apple discussion but when you think that when you currently buy a new PC with Vista you can upgrade for free to 7 when it does come out in October...and it's not even out yet. So you can imagine if PCs were sold with Vista after October's release of 7...they wouldn't sell.

That's another reason why it would be better not to buy now for the Ipod Touch. They are hoping all Touches will be sold before the new ones come out...but I kinda agree with the OP...but at the same time how do you control this (how do you prove that you bought this "old" Ipod since the new OS?)

But I am waiting for the 64g to get one...so I don't have this issue! :p

12. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

New iTouch and Stumped

I just received a new iTouch from Apple today it is only an 8GB but for some reason it still has 2.2.1 software and not 3.0.

It is not a big deal as I already own 3.0 just wondering why the new ones and Refurbs are not coming with the new software?

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I agree with you there really isn't an excuse for them not to come with 3.0. Unfortunately apple is still cashing in by making you buy it. My mother just bought one and had the same experience and it put her off a bit. It's a welcome to the world of apple I guess.

14. celticpride678

This is literally (maybe) the 100th thread on this. Please search first.

Anyways, yes, all iPod touches still come with 2.2.1 and they will until September and there will be a refresh. This is because that is how they make money and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Please search first, thanks.

15. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Nothing strange about it, iPhone users have to purchase an expensive contract to use their device. Touch users don't, that's why we pay for the major updates.

16. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Brandon's iPod: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

honestly how many more threads like this are we going to see? this is how it happened last year, this is how it's happening this year, and this is probably how it's going to happen in the future. get used to it.

17. celticpride678

Does get kinda annoying.

18. MacGeek Pro macrumors member

I'd like to point out that in 2008 when 2.0 was released, Apple did in fact start shipping first-generation iPod touches from the factory with 2.0 pre-installed. The iPod touches that were already in the retail channels prior to 2.0 were reduced in price by $10 to account for the difference the customer would have to pay to upgrade to 2.0.

Apple has clearly abandoned that for the 3.0 release.

Though seriously, it is $10. If you want the features of 3.0, $10 is not much to part with. I agree it should have been a free upgrade after 3.0 was released, or at least accounted for by reducing the cost of the hardware to account for it. But that isn't how it worked out.

And yeah, I was one of those that shelled out for the January App Upgrade in January 2008 at $20, and my feathers were slightly ruffled when the 2.0 upgrade was $10 and included those apps.

However, the way I upgraded to 2.0 was to sell the iPod touch and get an iPhone 3G. Go figure.

19. newkeyboard macrumors regular

Will the next generation of ipod touch come with 3.0?

20. celticpride678

Yes. When the 3rd Gen. comes out, it will probably have 3.1 (if released).