Brand new Lacie D2 Quadra seems slow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pete1, Dec 23, 2012.

1. pete1 macrumors newbie

I've just bought a Lacie D2 Quadra V3, 3TB model, to use as a backup drive for my 2011 Macbook Pro. I've connected it up via FW800 but noticed that it's not as fast as my WD My Book Studio LX. Running a Blackmagic speed test I get about 50mb/sec for read and write which seems pretty slow. I am wondering if there is something wrong with my drive, does anyone who has this model fancy running some benchmarks and sharing the results here?

2. pete1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've discovered that the problem is some sort of firewire bug in OS X where drives over 1TB in size take a performance hit. I read this article – http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-OWCDualMini-performance-MacPro-FW800.html – and set the drive up as three 1TB partitions. I now get reads of 80mb/sec and writes of around 78mb/sec.

If this is really a long-standing bug with firewire, it's frustrating, as I'm taking a hit of around 25mb/sec in performance for no reason. Of course, I could just have three partitions but it feels like a bit of a hack/not a neat solution. Has anyone else experienced this?