Brand new Mac...kinda, need some help (total noob here)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryans79, May 3, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hello!

Just got a macbook (second hand, not the aluminum one)
    its surprisingly good although a bit confusing for someone like me who has always had a PC. Running X.5 (Leopard i believe)

A few problems and questions, when answering this please use the same numbering so things dont get confusing... and you can answer a middle question even if you want to answer the other ones.

1. Theres no damn delete button, only a backspace... unless i am missing something?

2. Whats the button on the top right? looks like an eject symbol but does not do anything when i press it.

3. To close an app sometimes i right click and it shows me "eject" at times, what is that? shouldn't it always show me "quit"?

4. Very frustrating: how do i make windows full screen?
    is the only way by resizing it at the bottom right?

5. The windows seem to hide behind one other, is there some way that i can lay they out on the bottom like on windowz

Lots of other stuff, but i cant remember everything right now ;) will post again, these are the minor thingies.

And here are the biggies:
    A - The dude lost his installation CDs/DVDs or DVD (dont really know how Mac comes) so he told me if i want to reinstall it i just have to download the mac software from the net and do it, so i downloaded it from a site and now i hae a file with an extension of .dmg thats 7gigs... how do i burn this? Nero? never worked with this extension before.

B - How do i get a clean install, taking out all the last users files so i have a totally vanilla system (like i just bought it)?

C - Just being cautious here, so as i put the DVD in, and the installation starts automatically or...?

D - Miscellaneous : leave your tips, hints, warnings here please... but please note you will have to give me baby steps as i dont know squat about this...
    for example give me steps like this:
    click finder, then click blah from blah menu.. then click blah

Note, i am still using a "normal" usb mouse, i still dont get whats with the single button on the mousepad... which reminds me, which is a double click and which is a single click? things open and close quite confusingly.

And finally, yes, i know a lot of you must be laughing your asses off, but thats fine, i've had a lot of laughs with Mac users using PCs... and guess its just my turn now ;)

Cheers guys (an girls)!
    /Ryan

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

1. Delete is the backspace.
    2. it ejects a CD/DVD. try it with a disc in the drive.
    3. that's because you've just installed it. you're ejecting the dmg, not the app. Drag the app into your application folder and eject the dmg.
    4. Yes.
    5. You mean like the taskbar? No, not really, but the apps that are open will be in your dock and they are open if you see a blue light beneath them. You could also minimize everything and run them out of the dock, but that's not very fun :p

A. you're not going to get any help about this from this website. Buy Leopard.
    B. Purchase Leopard and install it.
    C. Put the CD in and open it, it will ask you to reboot and install.
    D. Specific finder questions, please.

About the mouse: Buy a new mouse. Most who switch to Mac from PC need the right click. Either get the Mighty Mouse ($49) or a Microsoft mouse with 2 buttons. Either will work fine.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

1) fn + backspace = delete

2) It is eject, if you have a disk in the drive and press and hold the button for a second it will eject the disk.

3) Are you running the application from the applications folder, or are you running it from inside a disk image (dmg)?

4) You don't make windows full screen normally. Though you can drag it out from the bottom right.

5) Try pressing F3 to activate expose, it will enable you to see all the windows you have open. If your mouse has a back button it may do the same thing.

4. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

> A. you're not going to get any help about this from this website. Buy Leopard.

I already have this on my system, so its a lawfully purchased copy... as it came with the machine, i just want to do a re-install, its not like i am pirating th software from the beginning to run on a machine that never had it.

I can take out a snap of the machine with the software on it if you want proof.

Buying another copy does not make sense in this case, kind of like owning the CD music and not being allowed to make an MP3 of it to listen to it on your ipod but instead being forced to buy it again from an online site.

> D. Specific finder questions, please.
    I dont have any...yet, that was just an example if you have any hints,tips,tricks etc for a new mac user put it in D....

>3) Are you running the application from the applications folder, or are you running it from inside a disk image (dmg)?

I think i installed it (firefox) then i ran it fine but on my "desktop" i saw the firefox icon and couldnt delete it.. so was confused.

>Try pressing F3 to activate expose
    Ok, had no idea what expose was, now i do ;) thanks!

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You're violating the EULA if you download a pirated copy of Leopard, I'm just saying.

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If the Mac is recent and came with Leopard you should be able to contact Apple for replacement disks though it may cost a small amount. At-least you would then have the correct disks for your Mac.

1) You downloaded Firefox, it most likely appeared on your desktop as a white drive with the firefox logo on it (if it didn't appear on your desktop, double click on the dmg file you downloaded).
    2) If you double click on the white drive icon with firefox logo, a window should appear with the firefox logo/icon and an arrow pointing at a folder.
    3) Drag the firefox icon onto the folder.
    4) Drag the white drive icon with firefox logo from the desktop into the bin which will turn into an eject symbol.
    5) Drag the file you downloaded into the bin.
    6) Open finder and go to the applications folder (should be a shortcut on the left), firefox should be in there.

If you want it on your dock, drag it onto the dock.

You can also launch things as well as finding files by pressing [cmd] + [space] then start typing firefox, it should appear selected in the drop down. You can then press return/enter to launch it.

7. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

A> The guy basically scammed you, lol, not really though. Next time don't purchase unless it comes with an installation disc. They come with bonuses like iLife that you can't get in a retail Leopard.

You'll have to purchase a pack of DL-DVDs (Dual Layer DVDs), they're pretty expensive. Then burn the image onto one of those.

8. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

(Answer) "The delete key is the key you use to delete"

(Answer) "It is the eject CD/DVD button"

(Answer) "Were you running the application from an external drive or flash drive?" I'm not 100% sure what that problem is..:confused:

(Answer) "Click the green button on the top left corner of the window to increase the size, and then hide your dock and drag down at the bottom right of that window to make it full screen."

(Answer) "Click the yellow button in the top left corner of the window to put that window in your dock, simply click the minimized window to re-open it."

(Answer) "Open a new Finder window/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility? ALTHOUGH, there is a great chance that is against the law." :rolleyes:

(Answer) "Delete (drag to trash) or hit the minus - button in System Preferences/Accounts/Delete (insert old user account name here)."

or, *I'll have to get backed up on this by another MacRumors member* I believe you can insert your install disk and then turn your computer off "SHUT DOWN" and then turn it back on and when you hear the "chime" hold down the option button until you see a grey screen with the CD and the Hard Drive. Select the CD, this will take you through an installation process where you will select "Erase and Install."

(Answer) "When you put in an install disk, the disk should appear on the desktop, and it should automatically open a window with an install package, Double click on that package to launch the installer and start the installation process."

(Answer) "You might find this webpage useful, also put two fingers on the track pad and then click the button with your thumb, that is a secondary click.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

All the people going on about "buy Leopard" get a grip. The eejit who owned it before him lost the disk, there's no reason to penalise this guy for it. If he'd bought it with Tiger and wanted a free upgrade then yes, he should buy Leopard, but for this I think not.

OP here's the instructions I posted in response to a similar sort of query a while back.

10. henrikvartaget macrumors newbie

Just a hint thats I needed myself when I was a noob (now I'm a noob light I guess..... :) )
    In Apple Leopard you allmost allways install applications by dragging the application (an icon) to the application folder and your all set! Apple does not write files to a system folder or a Registation database like in Windows. Think of applications as images (like iso) that runs out-of-the-box. Some applications is beeing installed like in windows - i.e. Microsoft Office.

11. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly, who has the time to read those EULAs? I really dont.
    Thanks for the advise though, I know you meant well and i am not "sniping back".

> "If the Mac is recent and came with Leopard you should be able to contact Apple for replacement disks though it may cost a small amount. At-least you would then have the correct disks for your Mac."

What do you mean "correct disks"? I thought 10.5 works on all machines that support it? or is it different for the laptops and stations?
    damn, i feel like i'm walking in a jungle here with just glimpses of moonlight on and off. Will be watching all those "new to Mac" info vids now.

> points 1-6 from Dark Dragoon as well as
    "You can also launch things as well as finding files by pressing [cmd] + [space] then start typing firefox, it should appear selected in the drop down. You can then press return/enter to launch it. "

Thank you, that did clear up some stuff, made a mental note of that... i guess the more often i use it the more it will become second nature.

>You'll have to purchase a pack of DL-DVDs (Dual Layer DVDs), they're pretty expensive. Then burn the image onto one of those.

Heh, in my old job my old boss gave me a sealed pack of 25 of these... coz he didnt trust "double layer" and didnt know exactly how to use them... been saving them coz they are expensive, finally get to use one!

@Benguitar, thanks for your answers too mate.

>"Open a new Finder window/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility? ALTHOUGH, there is a great chance that is against the law."

Aww, thats ok, as long as i know i paid for the machine and its already there + its not my fault that guy lost his disks... i dont have a guilty conscience so not bothered in the least.

> "You might find this webpage useful, also put two fingers on the track pad and then click the button with your thumb, that is a secondary click.

Ah! Cant wait to try that! (am writing this from ole faithful, my windows laptop :p )

>All the people going on about "buy Leopard" get a grip. The eejit who owned it before him lost the disk, there's no reason to penalise this guy for it.

Thank you!

>he'd bought it with Tiger and wanted a free upgrade then yes,

Actually, i did buy it with Tiger..... and am getting a free upgrade...
    MUAHHAHAHAAHAHA

Just kidding :) will be taking snapshots of the machine for you guys to see anyway coz am a bit puzzled about some items in the "doc"

thanks for the instructions, i did use poweriso to convert it to an iso and burnt it using nero while waiting for a response here, so will give that a try and if it does not work will follow the steps you outlined, I appreciate the effort it took to give me baby steps, thanks again.

@henrikvartaget, ah! thanks! Was beginning to suspect i'm the only one limping around here.

>Think of applications as images (like iso) that runs out-of-the-box. Some applications is beeing installed like in windows

So how do i know which gets installed (like in windows) and which runs out-of-the-box?

Cheers!

12. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

If you've already double clicked on the dmg, chances are it will not be bootable anymore. A .dmg will lose it's "bootability" when you mount it. So there goes that...

As for the issue with the applications and eject button, are you sure you're not running apps from the .dmg? Here's how installation of apps works in OS X: 1) You download an application from the internet, and it's most likely in a .dmg. 2) You double click the .dmg and you will see the actual application inside the dmg. 3) To install it, you simply drag the application to your Applications folder. 4) You can then eject the dmg and delete it; the application is already installed on your Mac.

13. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I believe it depends on what disk you have, I have an original Leopard install disk which won't work on the latest Mac's. In addition to this the standard install disk will be missing software which should come with the Mac, such as iLife.

If it uses a wizard like on Windows then it installs itself into the right places.

Just in case, to take a screen shot press:-

[cmd] + [shift] + [3]. to take a screen shot of everything.
    [cmd] + [shift] + [4] then select an area. To take a screen shot of the selected area.
    [cmd] + [shift] + [4], then press [space], then click on a window. To take a screen shot of the window.

14. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

> If you've already double clicked on the dmg, chances are it will not be bootable anymore. A .dmg will lose it's "bootability" when you mount it. So there goes that...

Good news here, i converted it via poweriso on my windows machine, then burnt the ISO via Nero... inserted it and then did a "erase and install", am properly up to 10.5.6 now.... also am starting to get used to this, strangely i find myself more on this than on my windows laptop, i wonder if its because i am stil learning this and its new or...starting to (heaven forbid) like this :apple:

> As for the issue with the applications and eject button, are you sure you're ...

I'll get back to you on this, will install a few more things and make a note on each step so i can even explain it a bit better without confusing myself and you.

> In addition to this the standard install disk will be missing software which should come with the Mac, such as iLife.

Can you just give me the list of softwares that i am supposed to have? I'll download and install it seperate.
    Dont think i'll be using everything though, because i basically bought this to start learning how to progarm in cocoa.... although since i got it have been exploring it in a little more detail than i thought i would.

> Just in case, to take a screen shot press:-

Thanks, but will be taking shots with my digital camera coz i have questions about some of the buttons as well as the charger... but while we are on shortcuts:
    In windows to close a tab (for example in firefox) i used to go CTRL+F4, whats the same here? When i do that the volume goes up :(

Its a bit irritating closing windows by clickin the tiny red button, in windows the X too was irritating and i used to use ALT+F4, whats the same here?

The function buttons seem to be kind of disabled, if that makes sense, i mean when i press them they do stuff like F1 makes the screen darker, F2 makes it lighter and so on... but F1 is supposed to bring up help right? F3 (in firefox) is supposed to be for search next... but it does not do that.

One thing i am really starting to like is the one finger on pad and other finger dragging down to scroll... also two fingers on pad and button press to get the "properties" menu... are there any others that i can try?

Other stuff thats really cool is the magnets in the charging plug, the way it just goes in and gets "stuck", very very cool!
    Battery life kicks my other laptops butt!
    No real vents at the bottom of the laptop, was a bit scared about overheating this but so far really good... that fan did start up like a freaking jet engine though, scared me a bit.

Real cool support from this place, helping out a total newb like be... really appreciate it, thanks guys.

Cheers!

15. snberk103 macrumors 603

Welcome the Mac world... it sounds like it has been a bit of a rocky start.

I won't get into whether you should use a downloaded version of Leopard or not.... sounds like that issue has been settled. However..... at this time the only malware that is "in the wild" for Macs are Trojans that are attached to software that is downloaded from the internet. Currently this affects, as far as we know, only iWork and Photoshop. But, if I were you I would see if you could get legit disks from Apple, or buy a set of Leopard disks from Apple or 2nd hand.

Failing that, pay very close attention to the Mac News sites for the next few weeks to see if there are reports of malware being attached to downloaded versions of Leopard. Keep in mind that these things may not show themselves, by design, for a bit of time.

The biggest confusion I had with OS X was understanding the application installation process. Its not confusing, its just different - with DMGs and packages, etc. Also, things in the dock are not really in the dock - merely their shortcuts. Resist the urge the rearrange the applications folder into subfolders.... just toss every app in there. Use spotlight to launch apps. (Spotlight is the magnifying glass in the top right corner - but the key-board shortcut is 'cmd+spacebar'. Type the first few letters, and hit return (or enter) - thats the key on the right-hand side with the word 'return' or 'enter' :D :D. I don't even look to see what I'm typing anymore when I use this, its so fast to do.

Explore these forums.... somewhere, I forget where, there is a permanent thread that deals with tips and hints etc. I still go there and scan, there is always something new to learn.

When you need an office suite, there is iWork - which can be bought from Apple, as well as NeoOffice and OpenOffice - which are free downloads. NeoOffice is a version of OpenOffice. Try them both to see which you prefer. There is also Lotus Symphony - but I think that is aimed more at the enterprise market.

16. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

You're welcome, I'm glad to be of service. :cool::)

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. FN+Delete

2. answered in post 2.

3. Command+Q to quit. Read the guides on how to install apps.

4. Making window full screen is useless method used by windows users. Learn other ways.

5. The windows task bar way is fine for a few windows but useless when you have dozens or hundreds of documents (say images) open.

A. You won't get help with any pirating. The price you paid for the machine did not include the disk. You need to order the disk from Apple. Call them.

B. It's obvious.

C. It's obvious. You double click on something once the disk is in.

D. Read the guides on the top of the page.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats!

Fn+Backspace is Delete

Eject key for the optical drive; only does something if you have a disk in the drive.

That sounds like you didn't install the app and that you're running it from the disk image. For example if you where to install Firefox, you need drag the application to the 'Applications' folder.

Refer to this article:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

You pretty much have to drag the corner.

Depending on what you have set, F9 or Fn+F9 is Exposé which shows all windows.

The seller basically told you to go pirate the disks; sorry we can't help or condone that, so the only advice we can give is to buy the disk or call Apple and order the replacement disks for $35.

You use the install disk, run the installers, and do a clean install.

Assuming you're still talking about installing the OS, you need to put in the disks into the drive, and then restart the computer; when is the computer is booting, hold the 'C' key on your keyboard and do not let go untill you see the Apple logo AND the spinning gears. Then follow the instructions.

Some of things I can think of:
    • When you go the little red (x) on the top left of the application that usually does not close the application, only closes the window. To quit, click the application name on the top menu bar and select 'Quit'; otherwise use the keyboard command CMD+Q.
    • Refrain from eating or drinking liquids next to your computer.
    • Condition the battery, so at least use one cycle onces a month—if you will be using the computer unplugged anyways, then you can ignore this.

If you go the :apple: (Yes the Apple icon on the menu bar) —> System Preferences —> Keyboard and Mouse —> Trackpad, there should be an option to use two finger right click; basically you put two fingers on the trackpad and then use the one-button click and it simulates a right-click.

We were all once newbies, so we care for our newcomers.