Brand New Mac Pro: 4870 able to run DUAL 24" LED's?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brock2621, Aug 15, 2009.

1. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Ok so i've been searching now for 2 days and i've read so many different things it's ridiculous. All i need is for someone to confirm that YES it is possible to run dual 24" LED cinema displays from a single 4870.

One would hook up to the mini display port, and the other thru the DVI port.

Any help would be great as i'm waiting here with my credit card ready to order the 2nd display. lol

Also, anybody have pics of their dual display setup?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You cannot hook up 2x 24" LED ACD as it only has a mini displayport built in and the 4870 has only 1 mini displayport. I think you'd need a 2nd card to hook up the 2nd 24".

3. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

This is what the apple website says when you click the "learn more" button when upgrading the video cards:

"You can attach multiple Apple flat panels with DVI connectors to your Mac Pro graphics card, one directly to the Dual-Link DVI port the other via a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately). A Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter is also available. If you have an Apple flat panel with an ADC connector, the optional Apple DVI to ADC Adapter is required (sold separately)."

Do they not make an adapter from the DVI connection on the card to a mini-dvi for the monitor?

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It is not currently possible to run two of the 24" ACDs on this Mac Pro. Until a DVI to mini Displayport adapter comes along (a reverse of the one available now), don't even bother ordering the second display; it will be a $899 paperweight.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

To run two of them you'll need to install an Nivida GT120 for the second display. It's the only way to do it that I know of right now. Plug one into the 4870 and one into the 120 and you're good to go.

6. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I called Apple about a month ago about this adapter and they said it was impossible to do. I ran a GTX285 and wanted to run a LED 24" display.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It's impossible in the sense that DVI can't pass a DisplayPort signal. IUf you want to spend a lot, you can always make an active converter. In fact, I think someone posted a link to one in the peripherals board. It costs like $180 though.

8. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I don't know the answer to that one.

Let me point out one item that people keep coming back to when buying the new ACD the cable is only 44 inches long. If you find the cables to be too short (which a lot of people do) then there is an extension cable available now. Available here...
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024602&p_id=5501&seq=1&format=2

10. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

ok cool. Thanks guys, i very much appreciate it! I'm probably just going to go ahead and order the 2nd with the video card. I'll post some pics when i get everything setup!

Thanks again!