Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
UK
1. Front row can't see the internet connection
2. System seems 'clunkier' and slower than my 3-year old G5 iMac, though that might be me being negative, but it is DEFINITELY slower than our standard macbook (not pro) which is blisteringly fast
3. Web pages take longer to load in both safari and firefox (and e.g. BBCi hangs every 3-4 seconds and does not play properly, but does V well on the macbook)
4. Sleep function works sometimes; other times it shuts the system down or just won't wake up
5. Windows under Bootcamp is a f***ing mess and will not run any apps at all

On the plus side, the graphics playing a DVD are awesome...but I already have a DVD player and a TV.

Bit disappointed so far... FYI software fully updated as of today's date. Thinking about returning it to be honest.

PS have 4GB RAM, 8800GT VRAM, 2x2.8GHZ

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Maybe run some benchmark and bandwidth tests for a more objective assessment? Sounds like something is wrong, but it may be a simple software fix.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
id recommend reinstalling from the complete beginning, after any necessary updates to software if ther are any... if it still does it after that you know there is hardware problems.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Before you get too worked up, remember that Spotlight does it's deal for a while on new installs.

Is there a flashing dot in the Spotlight icon?

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
1st run a hardware test off of the disk, 2nd, just exchange it for another, this doesnt sound normal at all, i just got my pro and i am loving the speed, its amazing.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
im not sure if its MacPros specifically...but i have 2xDual-core 2.66Ghz and Ijust installed leopard on a bran dnew drive, i have wireless library that my macbookpro access via FrontRow and im trying to access it on my MacPro and it says No Internet Connection tried everything removing files; reinstalling Leopard, updated FrontRow with todays update etc...wtf?

GotPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
That definitely doesn't sound right. My Mac Pro runs literal CIRCLES around my Macbook PRO (WITH 7200RPM hdd)... I can't even imagine using a regular Macbook then coming to this machine and having it be slower.

Something is rotten in Denmark, methinks.

Not real sure what to tell you... what are your benchmark scores?
Check Activity Monitor... is something eating up RAM/CPU/Network/Disk cycles?
How much free space do you have on your boot drive?
Are you running any non-intel apps that might be system-enhancements?

FireSlash

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
X2 on wiping the drive and starting over.

x3

Can't begin to count the number of new macs I've fixed with a quick wipe and reinstall. They must be imaging these suckers over a network with no CRC checking or something.:rolleyes::p

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
That definitely doesn't sound right. My Mac Pro runs literal CIRCLES around my Macbook PRO (WITH 7200RPM hdd)... I can't even imagine using a regular Macbook then coming to this machine and having it be slower.

I second that!! :D

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
UK
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I am going to reformat the whole lot and start again from the OS disks.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I am going to reformat the whole lot and start again from the OS disks.

Make sure you do a custom install and nix all of the languages you don't need, and get rid of the printer drivers as well.

If you have a printer you can d/l the drivers from the manufacturer's site.

That will save you some space for sure.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
About your 4 Gigs of RAM.... is that all Apple, or did you install another 2G on your own? If so, then make sure they are the correct RAM, not defective, and installed correctly in matched pairs.

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
UK
No 2 GB is extra RAM but installed by the authorised reseller. How can I tell if it has been installed properly?

FireSlash

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Also, something that threw me off, the CTO mac I just got was behind on updates... so far that it was still running 10.5.1!

I had to run the software updater Three times before the EFI update was available (First run gets 10.5.2, second run gets the graphics update, third run is the EFI update). It doesn't seem to feel the need to check for new updates after you install some, so these won't run until the next scheduled update unless you manually check.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
To use Apple Hardware Test:
1 Disconnect all external devices from your computer except the keyboard and mouse.
If you have an Ethernet cable connected, disconnect it.
2 Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with your computer.
3 Restart your computer and hold down the D key as it starts up.
A list of available startup volumes appears.
4 Click Apple Hardware Test and click the right arrow.
5 Follow the onscreen instructions when the Apple Hardware Test main screen appears
(after about 45 seconds).
6 If Apple Hardware Test detects a problem, it displays an error code. Make a note of the
error code before pursuing support options.

iPapa

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Actually you can use Apple Hardware Test without inserting the Mac OS X Install Disc 1. The test can be run directly from the internal hard drive. Just restart the Mac while holding and pressing the "d" key on the keyboard, and you'll enter the test shortly. Thereafter just follow the instructions and you're done.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
ive not done a hardware test lately, are they not 2 separate tests? one more extensive than the other? i just copied and pasted from the apple support site for the o.p.

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
If your having sleep issues, its most likely related to impending logic board failure. Get it swapped before your out of the return policy.

iPapa

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
The hardware tests are the same, no matter if you run them off the DVD or the hard drive. I ran the test shortly after receiving my MP in March, off the hard drive itself. No problems with running the test, nor the results for that matter.

Running the test from the hard drive obviously makes sense if the optical drive is broken or if the DVD disc is damaged, lost, or if your Mac is in another location and you have to run the test.

However, if you wipe your OS X hard drive to reinstall OS X you might get the hardware test removed also. If so, or if you just can't open the hardware test from the internal hard drive, then run the test off the DVD (I'm not sure, but it should be possible to re-install the test app onto the hard drive from the OS X install disc).

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
UK
Hi guys

Ok - did the hardware test this morning with no problems found. In fact I have not has a sleep issue after the latest software updates.

One thing though, when I unplugged my printer from the USB port on the back of the Apple cinema display, I could see little white sparks around the port and I received a mild electric shock from the USB connection on the lead....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.