Brand new Mac Pro shutting off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daverso, Jul 23, 2008.

1. daverso macrumors regular

I bought my Mac Pro about a week and a half ago. It shipped to me yesterday. Since then, I've done nothing but add my music from my old iTunes library and install some applications.

I've gotten the gray screen of death (where the screen wipes down and says you need to restart aka Kernel Panic) 4 times already in probably 5 hours of usage.

I haven't been running any applications when it's been happening, aside from safari and iTunes. It's random, I'm not doing any hardcore processing while it happens, just simple things like browsing the internet, listening to music. Any thoughts?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You probably need to update your software.

You bought a Mac Pro just to browse the internet and to listen to music?

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Post the kernel panic logs here so we can see what is going on. You can access them from the Console application.

4. daverso thread starter macrumors regular

No...? I bought it to run Final Cut Studio and CS3 (thats the 'installing software' part of my post) I was just saying it's quitting when I'm doing simple tasks, but not so much when I'm doing a lot of processing.

I ran the disk utility and repaired the permissions and that seemed to fix it. The airport card turns out was causing the kernel errors, or so it seems at this point. I've been running it pretty hard for about 4 hours now and I haven't had a problem since, so we'll hope for the best.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you bought a new Mac Pro a week ago and its already Kernel panicing multiple times i would say its a hardware failure and you should get it checked to be either replaced or repaired under warranty.

you can check for hardware errors if you like by restarting into the first install DVD while holding D.