Brand new Mac Pro won't start up! Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matt9b, Sep 23, 2008.

1. matt9b macrumors member

I just yesterday received this brand new mac pro.

Everything was working until now. Now my Mac Pro gives this error on start up:

"No Boot Disc. Please insert boot disk and press any key to continue."

I'm like HUH?! What's happened now?

I can't operate the keyboard, it doesn't work. I can't eject the CD drive to insert any kind of disc (thanks apple - no eject button on the mac - it may look sleek but it's not helpful)

What should I do now? My brand new mac won't even start up, and won't let me do anything with it.

I tried pressing the alt key (option key) on startup as well, no effect.

I thought Apple was meant to be the hassle-free option. I spent a fortune on this system for hassle-free operation. It was less hassle when I had built my own PC running windows (and trust me that was hassly).

Help!!!

Sorry for the tone, it's just I've only had this mac for 2 days and it's been nothing but hassle so far.

I already have work on it that I simply cannot lose.

Any help deeply appreciated.

2. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

JUST FOUND THE SOLUTION:

Replace the apple keyboard with a PC (yes, PC) keyboard, hold down the option key (alt key) while turning on the mac. Select the Mac HD from the menu. Press enter.

All works again now.

I can't help but laugh at the irony of needing a PC keyboard to fix a Mac.

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Make sure your HD is seated properly. Then call AppleCare. They may even upgrade you for your hassle.

EDIT: Sorry, missed above post.

4. Musicmasta macrumors member

Musicmasta

Look again buddy

Attached Files:

5. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

look again buddy :D

6. Musicmasta macrumors member

Musicmasta

7. Purple Pelican macrumors member

Or you could boot into OpenFirmware and eject by command line.

8. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

if you re-read the original post carefully, you'll see the apple keyboard was not working. Pointing out the location of the eject key on the keyboard, and saying "look again buddy", is not helpful. :rolleyes:

9. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

how? don't you need a working keyboard for this? Once I connected a PC keyboard, the keyboard worked, so I could bring the menu up using the option key, hence the problem was solved.

I'm not a native mac user but still, not sure how you could boot into any openfirmware without use of a keyboard? :confused:

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Dead keyboards are PITA, no? :p

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

where you using a wireless keyboard? i think you were in the boot process where the bluetooth drivers hadnt load yet. we needed more info in your original post.

"No Boot Disc. Please insert boot disk and press any key to continue." sounds like youve installed Windows and something went wrong and you couldnt get your CD out. again more info needed.

other than pressing option on startup or typing "eject disc" in Open Firmware you couldnt simply help the mouse button and the CD would have ejected.