Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpumbaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
So I got a used iBook, and when I got it it had been given a fresh install of Mac OS X. So I tried to install iLife '04, and it kept on telling me that iTunes was running, so it couldn't install. Eventually I ended up uninstalling iTunes, iMovie, and iPhoto (the ones that came with OS X), and when that didn't work I realized that iTuneshelper was running as a process. So I stopped that process and proceeed to successfully install iLife. Or so I thought. iTunes didn't install, when I search for iTunes it just shows the empty folders for iTunes music and such. When I try to install 4.7 on my iBook... it says that the package is "disabled" on the installation screen (it automatically goes to custom installation). Anyone able to tell me what the heck is going on?

daveybe

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2004
did you put the fresh install of OSX on the iBook, or was this done by the previous owner?

If you haven't put a lot of new data on the machine, might as well wipe the disk clean and reinstall OSX (assuming you have the CDs). You never know what unusual settings the previous owner might have used, and a reformat is often the quickest way to fix them.

I always wipe a used machine and start fresh. It's like putting the new car smell back in a used vehicle ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.