Brand new Mac user - now help me get caught up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjfor40, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mjfor40 macrumors newbie

Well after many, many years of Windows and PCs I have finally sacked up and got a MacBook Pro (early '08) and am pretty excited. I have decent knowledge of how Leopard, iLife and Mac's work but what I am really looking for is some guidance for someone who has used Windows all their life and has little to no knowledge of the cool features that are at my fingertips.

Also what kind of programs (free) do I need to download that are made specifically for Apple and will improve my Mac-using experience?

I am big with photos, music and just organization so any recommendations are appreciated.

2. bananabar macrumors regular

First thing is to re-install the OS but select 'Customise' and switch off the loading of all the endless languages etc. etc. It can save you around 1GB+ of disk space.

3. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

there are slimming utilities you can use to do that w/o reinstalling.

i would highly recommend bootchamp if you have bootcamp installed. it lets you reboot into windows in just 2 clicks. use it all the time!

4. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I know that your post is extremely helpful to the OP, but am I the only one that finds humor in that the first thing that you have a new mac user do on his new MBP is install Windows? :D

5. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I am new to back also, can you point me in the right direction for some of those slimming programs? Thanks!

6. mjfor40 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. MrMinor macrumors 6502

Here is a program that will let you get rid of all the "extra" languages. I freed up 3.3gb with this. A friend warned me to be careful though. apparently Photoshop needs all the extra languages to run. Who knew?

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

It comes for free with OS X. Look in your Utilities folder for Boot Camp Assistant. You will need a legitimate copy of XP. And don't forget to install a good virus scanner in Windows after you install it. :D

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

O ya, a few ideas

If you dont want the hassle of restart get parallels, it costs but it works great. For me at least, and if you have any problems they will help you through any you might have. Also if u looking for free photo edit, look at gimp. But u have to have X11 installed. Um, lockdown is pretty cool, keeps people from messin w ur mac. Flip for mac, so you can play WMV. Switch, so you can make files any format you want. Snap and Drag, so you can take pics of stats or when u have problems you need to show somebody. Then get i stat pro for your dashboard so you can monitor your mac and have a way to check if you suspect something isnt right. And the last i can think of right now is coconut battery. So you can keep tabs on your battery, its just an fyi so you can now whats going on. And just browse like apples widgets for dashboard, tons of cool stuff. You'll find out there seems to be limitless super cool and useful stuff you can do with mac.

10. Chris F macrumors regular

Here is what is in my launch bar. Should provide a useful smattering of stuff for you to investigate.

Firefox
    Adium
    Rivet
    Transmit
    NetNewsWire
    Osx360
    Toast
    Vmware fusion
    Visual Hub - now defunct =(
    uTorrent beta (also, Transmission, pre Vuze Azureus)
    Quicktime (search for Perian codecs!!)
    VLC

11. mjfor40 thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of cool things can I do on my desktop?

Widgets and news feeds etc? Kind of like how Google Desktop is?