Brand New Mac User. What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Brand New, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Brand New macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2011
    Hi, I apologize for my new thread first
    But I bouth my sister a Mac Air 11"3 yesterday, cous she loves the design.

I am a pro Microsoft User, and I suddenly fall in love with the design too, but I love advanced computers so I do not know if Mac Air 13" is enought for a guy like me. My last computer was AilenWare M15X and as you know that monster is a big ass machine that can do whatever I want.

So pleas help me! I am gonna play Diablo III when it comes out, but nothing else.

Thanks for the help already and sorry for my english.

Serhat Simsek*
  2. matthewprince macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2010
    Stoke on Trent, UK

If your looking for a laptop then id go Macbook Pro and upgrade the graphicvs card in the shopping cart.

If desktop then either the 27" i5 iMac , which i have , or the mac pro.

I find the i5 iMac that i have to be perfectly good at playing most games.

3. Brand New thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2011
    Asking the question in a diffrent way!

Can I play Diablo 3 or WoW on a Mac Air 13" ?
    I can add 4memo to it if it helps.
  4. maccompaq macrumors 65816

Mar 6, 2007
  5. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2010
    Peterborough, Canada
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't buy the air. Get the mbp.
  6. alust2013 macrumors 601

Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    If you really want to go for gaming, I'd at least get the base 15" as that's the least expensive model that has a discrete graphics card in it, and runs games considerably better. But honestly, if you're buying it for gaming, I wouldn't waste your money on a Mac. They're a lot more expensive and don't play games as well as windows machines.
  7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

Mar 8, 2009
    Whilst the MBA is a respectable machine it would be a big drop from an Alienware!

You should consider the 13'' MBP, it is still reasonably light. If you can get to the 15'' there is a good processor jump from the 13'', and a moderate graphics increase.

Gaming on Macs does seem to be improving, but they still are not great. The GeForce 320M/330M can handle itself well, but don't expect miracles.
  8. Brand New thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2011
    Thanks for the answers!

I thank you all fro the response and answers!

I am going to a mac shop tommorow. I will test'em! but since my sister got a mac air 11"3 with out a batteri out plug, what is she gonna do after 3 years? (Battrilife is about 3 years):apple:
  9. Winni macrumors 68030

Oct 15, 2008
    Apple doesn't have a machine that can compete with the computing and graphics power of an Alienware system. Alienware builds high-end gaming machines, Apple builds high-priced designer machines. You just cannot compare the two - they serve entirely different markets and target audiences.

From what you are saying, I doubt that you will be happy with a Mac unless you put Windows on it, and even then it won't satisfy your gaming needs nearly as well as the Alienware machine does.