Brand new Mac user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EDMOIL, Mar 28, 2008.

1. EDMOIL macrumors newbie

My MBP arrived on Monday, and it's a beauty. This is my first MAC EVER. I am replacing my 7+ year-old IBM 700MHz AMD Duron desktop computer. All that unboxing pics in the internet kinda made my own unboxing experience insignificant though. The MBP is cooler than I expected. I did not play any graphics-intensive games yet until I install Windows in Boot Camp, but I am planning to get that tomorrow. My trackpad seems to show its age already, and it's only 5 days old; so, I added a trackpad film. Other than that, it's a perfect machine. The screen is perfect (no yellow). Very smooth UI. Zero stuttering so far. I might have more questions on the way since I am so new to OS X (and yes I know it's pronounced 'ten').

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

3. mediaguru macrumors regular

Welcome to MacRumors, and congrats on the purchase of your first Mac. Be sure to check out the MacRumors Guides if you already have not, as there is a lot if great information there.

As far as your trackpad, you might want to gently polish it with a clean, dry cloth.

4. jaypunkrawk macrumors member

Nice! Welcome to Mac!

5 days?! I've had mine since November 2 and my trackpad looks like it did the day I bought it! Nuts!

5. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Welcome and congrats ...........

AWESOME first Mac !

6. EDMOIL thread starter macrumors newbie

I have pretty sharp eyes. I know when my trackpad is not perfect. :p

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

7 years...well done, sir. Enjoy the new computer. :cool:

8. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Pew pew bang bang

9. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Welcome, i can't wait until i get mine. so jealous

ChrisN

10. Sogo macrumors 6502

So no unboxing pics? :(

Well I hope you enjoy your new toy!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations!

What do you mean by the trackpad is aging?

12. EDMOIL thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not really aging, but my trackpad is already showing a very very slight discolouration. I intend to keep my MBP the way I keep my 7+ yr-old IBM (as long as possible), so I added a trackpad film.

13. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

Sounds to me like you need to clean your hands more often! I've never had such an issue, and no one has ever accused me of being very clean.

14. EDMOIL thread starter macrumors newbie

My hands are pretty clean. Once I added the trackpad film, my concerns are all gone. ;)

I just installed XP on my MBP with Boot Camp. It works perfectly!

15. jaypunkrawk macrumors member

You sure you don't have it under an electron microscope?! ;)

16. EDMOIL thread starter macrumors newbie

HAHAHA Even Lysol® cannot kill 100% of the viruses. Actually, as for your own fingers, see it for yourself. :D

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You mean the fact that the touchpad is dark in color? That would be the multitouch interface.

18. EDMOIL thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps. Maybe it's just me. Obviously, the trackpad should wear down sooner than later.

One problem: I can not get the 'tap on trackpad' to work on Windows, unlike in OS X.

19. Keleko macrumors 68000

I, too, am a new Mac owner. I got my 15" MBP the day the new penryn version came out. I am now Windows-free for all my personal uses. QuickBooks was the last hold-over, and once I was able to convert my 2006 windows files to QB 2007 on the Mac I was a happy camper. I do still have a Windows partition for games on the MBP, but I find I don't really play the games I have as it is (even before I bought the Mac), so it doesn't get a lot of use.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think you need a utility to configure that, which Apple doesn't provide.

21. EDMOIL thread starter macrumors newbie

That means there is no possible way?:(

By the way, what is the power consumption during normal internet use via Ethernet?

22. EDMOIL thread starter macrumors newbie

23. inVINCEcible2k3 macrumors newbie

hey there ,

i just got my MBP as well. Last Thursday and love it. The only concern i have is the squeaky space bar. Other than that , one small issue of the trakpad , didnt click where i wanted too. Must've been a quick glitch or bug , as soon as i restarted it , problem gone.

24. guru_ck macrumors 6502

I had some squeaky keys on my MBP when I first bought it. I had forgotten about them until I came across your post. They are gone now! I think the keys just have to be broken in.

25. McBanjo macrumors member

If you have the multi-touch trackpad on the new macbooks, the tapping is a newly added feature in system prefs > mouse & keyboard. I think you have to enable it first. There is also a two finger tap for secondary click (and a three finger tap, I think)

I think it's 2.