Brand New Macbook Air is Warped

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by deriko100, Jan 6, 2012.

1. deriko100 macrumors 6502

So I've had this MacBook Air since Tuesday, and it's a great computer and all but yesterday I realized that my MacBook was rocking on the table and it wasn't completely down on the left side. So I try pushing it down with my elbow and that worked for a little while, but then I noticed today that it was warped on the same side again. And this time the trackpad is leveled out on the left side, so there's no gap between them, the left side is lower now.

Does anyone know if this is normal? Im certain that I'm gonna return or bring it to the genius bar, but I don't want this happening with every air that I get. I just tried pushing down the right side while it was in the air, with even greater force, and it was sturdy, nothing moved. Can anyone give me some help on this, I definitely think that mines defective. The left side is as easy to bend as a piece of paper.

Attached Files:

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

You're not the first person to report this. Its not normal or acceptable but its not so common you risk getting a whole series of warped Airs. Just return it.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

4. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

No not normal. Please return it.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

At first, I saw exactly what your looking at in that photo on my MBA, but is it the viewing angle that makes it appear uneven? The shadowing on the right-side makes it look more recessed than the left-side. And when I glide my finger along the edges, both sides feel the same and even.

If it's lopsided, I would definitely do an exchange.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It's more common than you think. I had one last year that was warped, and two this year that were warped. I also had one with an off-centered display before finally getting a good one. It seems to always be the front left corner that rocks.

7. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your replies, I'm taking it in tomorrow. Just to be sure how sturdy are macbook airs, will they warp from regular use- use at home, putting it in a bag to go out, etc.

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

9. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in that picture, it seems normal to me. BUT warping of any kind is not normal and the apple folk will switch it out for you.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

11. imahawki macrumors 6502a

The picture is irrelevant. Its warped and it rocks (all 4 corners don't touch on an even surface) because of it.

12. rebscb macrumors member

I have a two week old MBA 11.6 that is a double Sammy (display and SSD) and I am very happy to have these specs. The MBA is slightly warped on the the left front (foot does not touch surface by about 2 millimeters). I have made one interesting observation: when I close the display - the foot will touch the surface - perfectly - and when I open the display - the foot rises into the slightly warped position. It seems as if the warp results from the display being opened.

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Just return it before you cause any damage to it.

14. rebscb macrumors member

Roger that... will be going to the genius bar at first opportunity... Curious... perhaps there may be some sort of alignment problem in the machining/assembly equipment that "marries" the casings for the display and unibody carriage. Only a manufacturing engineer with access to the data will be able to determine ultimately - however - there does seem - anecdotally - to be something amiss here...

15. Akack macrumors 6502a

Take a deep breath, then take it to get a replacement.

16. tburk32 macrumors member

I have the exact same experience with a 13" model that i hot from best buy withbtheir $200 off deal. Im debating whether its a big enough issue to get it replaced/fixed and whether i should go to best buy or the apple store.

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Myself and eight others at work ordered our 13" MBA's the same day. One was warped. Apple did a great job, replacing it without question.

My experience is that mine is very rigid and sits flat on my desk.

18. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Also make sure that the uneveness isn't caused by a full body sticker. I had an icarbons cover on my Air, and was seeing same kind of behavior. It turns out that the cover was causing the uneveness - once I removed it, it was fine.

19. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

20. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I got a replacement and this metal is much sturdier and it sits flat, but the lg screen that i got has a dark gradient at the bottom of the screen, really bummed out about this. I might just return it to best buy, and see if I have any luck ordering an air from the apple.com site.

21. Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    EXACTLY what my second replacement does, and mine is a "double Sammy too".

22. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

23. Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    Not going to return it, too many other issues that the third replacement could have that this one doesn't. Maybe it's possible that this one will flatten back out on it's own as it was flat just days ago. Just going to have to live with it but I like responding to others that have noticed the same issue as hopefully my input helps them.