Brand new macbook battery, 15 cycles already?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shaynes, Feb 26, 2009.

1. shaynes macrumors member

My macbook battery broke 500 cycles, and the battery life was at about half what it used to be so I ordered what was described as a brand new battery from Westronics, through Amazon. I put the new battery in the machine and checked System Profiler, and it is telling me that the battery has 15 cycles on it already. iStat Nano says the same thing.

Is this normal for a new battery to have cycles on it already? Or did I not get a new battery? I just want to make sure I got what I paid for.

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

That is normal. They have to test them and testing them puts cycles on them.

3. amrk47 macrumors regular

my macbook came with a battery with 0 cycles

im not quite sure on that

i think the battery the OP bought was returned

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Wrong... New one's should have 0 cycles.

5. shaynes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, it seemed odd to me, although I don't know much about batteries, first one I've ever replaced. The testing reply makes no sense to me though, I see no way Apple can put all of its batteries through 15 cycles of tests, much less why that would be useful.

I have contacted the seller. 15 cycles isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, and I did get a good price, but the product was described as 'new' and I'm just interested as to what it has been through.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Return it; at most you should have is 1 cycle (factory test).

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This sums it up nicely.

Edit: OP, who was "the seller?" Ebay/craigslist? If that's the case, then it's not "new," just lightly "used" perhaps...

8. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Actually my new macbook came with a battery that had 2 cycles on it. Both of the ones I got did.

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ive had 2 different batteries for the new MacBook, both came with 0 cycles.
    (first battery was defective and replaced through Apple)

10. nemacman macrumors newbie

Maybe your first battery should have been tested.

11. pirategenes macrumors newbie

just to add more data points to this survey:

My new macbook came with 0 battery cycles. The replacement I got also had 0 battery cycles.

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I really wonder if they do test every single battery. Im sure they test that it provides power and what not but I really dont think they run every single battery through some series of tests.

13. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

Sampling?

Typically test batteries are pulled from the production system, tested and recycled.

14. mmagbee macrumors member

agreed. all 4 of the ones we just deployed shows 0

15. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

You guys above seem to miss one point in his post.

Which leads me to conclude that it's not an Apple battery :rolleyes: So I'm willing to bet that third party batteries have to be tested a couple times.
    And also, if I remember correctly my MBP battery had 1 cycle. I'm guessing that Apple tests one randomly when it comes out of production.

16. shaynes thread starter macrumors member

It was definitely an apple battery, had a big apple logo on the back. I would not have bought a 3rd party battery. Seller said when I contacted to get return information that it was probably a case of someone returning it to them after having used it for a couple days (or weeks it seems).

They agreed to cover return shipping costs or give me a $10 refund (about what 2-way shipping will end up costing). I chose to ship back to them, battery is in transit now.

17. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253