Brand new MacBook battery doesn't live up to its promise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSamurai, Dec 24, 2007.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

my battery is messed up! I dunno what's happened to it.

This is a brand new macbook, just about 2-3 weeks old, and the battery can do max 4 hours just browsing the web, and dimmed screen.

this is not what apple claimed "6 hours". Yes I know 6 hours is probably just let it sit there and not doing anything, but max. 4 hours after 2-3 weeks of usage is unacceptable!

I'm not running anything power-draining, just sitting here surfing the web and 'sleep' it for a while.

can I do anything about it? I've done that battery correction thing, but it's not helping much. Can I take this back to apple and replace a new battery for free? the last time (loooong ago) I've taken my ipod mini for a battery replacement, they've charged me.

my mb is 2.2ghz, 4gb ram and 120gb HD.

2. SavageMac macrumors member

thats nature
    and normal
    apple (and others) inflate their battery life
    in addition
    few explain HOW they got to 6 hours.

(I can get 6 hours on my MB if I turn the screen ALL the way down, have wifi and bluetooth off, and just stare at a blank screen)

Turn bluetooth off if you are not using it.

3. blackslayer macrumors regular

If you can really use up till 4 hours, it is a very good battery life for you.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Apple was definitely lying about their battery life. The 12" iBook said up to 5 hours (note the difference, 5, not 6), and I could consistently get 5+ hours on a battery with 70+ cycles on it. My brand new Macbook battery will never exceed the iBook's length, no matter what Apple says. It's kind of a shame that they'd inflate the numbers this much.

5. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Yeah it's totally normal. I usually get around 3 and a half hours whilst browsing internet using Wi-Fi and playing iTunes through headphones.

6. em500 macrumors regular

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

8. ivan1234 macrumors regular

my mb battery lasts about 3-4 hours too.. sounds pretty average.

9. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I get 4-5 on my powerbook.

I got a new battery 4 months ago.

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

I would never rely on a laptop mfgr to give accurate battery life data. That info is readily available from a variety of non-Apple sources. Cnet reviewed that machine and reported 4.5 hours on their (self-described) "grueling" DVD test, however.

11. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

I always got 5-6 hours out of my macbook during class. Wi-fi and bluetooth off. Leopard isn't as battery friendly as Tiger was.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Still much better than wintels where even if you buy a high capacity battery with extra cells, you won't even get 2 or 3 hours on most wintels of a regular screen size.

13. ZenErik macrumors 6502

That's a good battery life. You can only expect to get 6 hours if you're not doing ANYTHING and have things like wifi and bluetooth off, like someone else mentioned.

14. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Have to totally drained your battery at any time? Apple says you need to let your battery drain almost all the way down to max your battery time. if you just let it charge on your brick all the time without draining it you will only get like 85% of battery time.

Don't know the link on Apple's website but there is plenty of info on this.

My ibook gets about 4-5 hours. 5 hours on a good day.

15. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Average laptops don't claim 6 hours of battery life...

17. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Doesn't claim 6 hours, claims up to 6 hours.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

"polymer battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 6 hours of battery life."

18. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

well this is such stupid advertising! up to 6 hours in practical terms is 4 hours? how nice. :rolleyes: