Brand New Macbook Bites the dust, should i wait for updates in sept?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrafternoon, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. mrafternoon macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2008
    North Cackalicki
    Ok, here's the situation: I decided to drink the kool-aid, and made my first mac purchase, taking advantage of the free ipod touch and printer student promo about 2 weeks ago. the machine is now toast, will not run more than 2 or 3 minutes without crashing, rebooting, freezing, ect. I'm confident this will be handled under warranty. My question is this: should I hang on to my broken computer until the refreshed versions of macbooks are released (mid september is my understanding...) with the hopes of the apple store replacing my current machine with the newer model? What does apple typically do in situations such as this? i know from past experience with other big box retailers such as best buy a warranty claim that warrents a replacement machine is replaced with an upgraded machine if an exact model isn't in apple stores typically sell thru (or ship inventory to places like mac mall) ALL of the inventory of the "old" mac books when the new one come in?

    Thanks for ya'lls advice!
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If you wait a month, they may fix your machine. It's probably a logic board failure, so they may replace it and hand it back to you. They don't just give you a new laptop if it doesn't work properly. They may actually check it. ;)
  3. jroller macrumors regular

    Jul 24, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    That sucks... sorry about that. Not a great way to make the switch.

    I don't think it is worth it, personally. There are no guarantees that they would upgrade you, and while it is certainly worth considering, it's a gamble I would not take. Get your laptop repaired/replaced and get started (again).

    Good luck...
  4. tmelvin macrumors 6502


    Mar 17, 2008
    Not to mention the fact, that there is NO guarantee that 9.23.08 is the release date of the new ones. There's a good chance, but I wouldn't hold my breath...right now it's all a rumor...
  5. mrafternoon thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2008
    North Cackalicki

    I took my machine to the genuis "bar" (misleading title, no beverages to imbibe in were provided!) last evening, and my computer was replaced on the spot....i only wonder if i had waited if they would have replaced my machine with the updated model, should it be available!

    oh well, whatevs.

    Thanks for y'alls advice!

Share This Page