Brand-new Macbook Can't Connect to the Internet. What's Wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pseptember, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Pseptember macrumors newbie

I connect my MacBook Pro directly to my modem with an ethernet cable. The ethernet, network settings and ISP all have the green dot, but the internet and server entries have red. What exactly is wrong? I'm guessing it's a problem with my internet provider and not my computer? I am running OS X 10.8 and it cannot connect to the internet even though it's plugged into the modem with the ethernet cord. Funny thing is, my old computer that still runs Tiger works fine when plugged into the same modem with the same cord. I've checked the settings for both computers, and as far as I can tell, they both have the same settings. Seriously frustrated. Any help would be great.

2. simsaladimbamba

Is the modem also a router or just a modem? If it is just a modem, you have to use PPPoE, thus you should look at your older Mac for those settings, which are in the Network preferences.
    If that modem is also a router, maybe have a look at the router's settings, maybe it has specified its access via MAC address limiting.

3. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Probably because you are plugging in straight to your modem, which is fine, but if you are using a dynamic public IP address then the modem needs a power cycle because the public IP usually changes based upon the MAC address of the device that is connected to it.

Try powering off your Macbook and your modem, turn your modem on and after it has power cycled turn on your Macbook and see if this fixes the issue.

4. Pseptember thread starter macrumors newbie

It must also be a router because my old computer definitely uses DHCP to connect and not PPPoE.

How do I find and look at my router's settings? I'm currently searching around... but can't seem to find anything. Should it be in Library or something?

----------

My internet provider is Charter and I have a "Cisco" brand modem/router if that helps.

5. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Does your modem have a built in router? And just because your old computer uses DHCP to connect doesn't mean you have a router - the modem can assign a private IP address to your computer without the need of a router.

6. Pseptember thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try cycling in see what happens. It didn't work last time I tried it, but it's worth another go!

As a side note, yeah, it is a dynamic IP.

----------

My modem (and kindasortofnotrouter?) is a Cisco DPC3008.

I'm going to go try the cycling. If I don't get back to you all right away, it's probably because I'm having trouble reconnecting my old computer that does work with the cord. Sometimes it gets finnicky.

7. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Yeah, that modem doesn't have a built-in router. And honestly I would recommend getting one because they act as a basic firewall and allow you to share that internet connection between many devices - instead of just one computer.

If for some reason the power cycling didn't work another thing I've found that has worked for me is leaving the new computer on while it is plugged into the cable modem and then power cycling the modem again. They can sometimes be finicky when it comes to updating the IP address when a new device is connected - which by what you said seems like what is happening here.

8. Pseptember thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh man, thanks everybody. I don't know why it didn't work the first time I tried, but the powercycling worked this time! New computer all connected. And you're right. I should get a router. I haven't before now because my poor old computer was too old to support the software for setting one up. But now I have a new computer that works!

Agh, I am stoked that it's working, Thanks!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you do get a new router, be sure to power cycle the modem again. This is because your service provider needs the MAC (Media Access Control) address of your new device to provide you service. They link your account to this MAC address to give you service. At least you were able to get this done with a power cycle. There are still some service providers out there that require you to call them with the MAC address for your computer or router.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

That isn't a global truth for all service providers in all countries by any means.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, it's not, but the OP is in the US and that's how it works in the US. ;)

I used to have Comcast and Optimum (Cablevision), both required me to call them with the MAC address of my new router.

I make no claims to how it works in other countries.

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Maybe but you have to recognize "Charter" as a US-based provider to know that and this forum is read by a global audience so it helps others to be clear about such things ;)

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Charter has an online guide for the modem, connect with your old machine, download it then use the Troubleshooting guide Chapter 4 to run through the Mac settings. I suspect your modem's DHCP lease is still running on the old machine, if it only supports 1 lease you will need to reset it to connect your new Mac.

RTFM as they say.