Brand New Macbook For Christmas...doesn't work.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hooverl, Dec 25, 2008.

1. hooverl macrumors newbie

I bought my wife a Macbook for Christmas and once she opened it up I turned it on, but it didn't get past the blank blue screen. I believe it is working because I hear the word "English" which I am guessing is a language selection thing, and if I hit "enter" it starts the introductory video for Leopard...but all I see is the blank blue screen...no cursor, no nothing.

I tried to load from the disk and I tried to start in safe mode but i get the same result...just a blank blue screen. As before I believe the computer booted, but the screen is just displaying blue.

I also reset the PRAM and tried a number of different startup techniques, but each time I just get a blue screen. Any advice?

A couple things: I didn't charge the battery much...just plugged it in and went from there. Could that be an issue? It's charging right now...

I bought it through Amazon so I'm unsure about warranty/return options. Can I still take it into an Apple Store to get looked at?

Thanks for any help!

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry to hear about your problems - bummer. I think you can take it to Apple for warranty service, but any exchange must be done with Amazon. However, Amazon is very good and efficient with returns/exchanges in my experience, and the process can be initiated completely online. To get things quicker they recommend a return and new purchase, but they will also do an exchange if requested.

3. lidomkj macrumors regular

I got a bad HP mini from Amazon recently(hinge was bad). They can ship you a new unit and print out a return receipt to ship the old one back. You do not need to repurchase and get charged twice. You will need to ship the bad one back in 20 days or you will get charged twice. I think you can do this online, but I called. Got the replacement in 2 days and shipped the bad one back no charge.

4. timestoby macrumors 6502

damn,thats sad to have her get it and its bunk.guess youll have to just take it back

obviously lol

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I advise you to get a replacement from Amazon..It's probably a defected MB.

6. hooverl thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, sucks. She was super stoked too. She'll still get it, just have to wait a bit while we return it. I appreciate the help and direction!

7. California macrumors 68040

California