Brand New Macbook iSight not working..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Rhosfelt, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I just tried opening Photo Booth, after receiving this computer yesterday and the screen is blank.

I also tried to open iMovie and see if that would detect the iSight nothing.

I get the indicator light, and no warnings saying nothing is connected, but I get no picture, just black.

I tried to install the more iChat effects, but I don't think that would do this... anyone help please I don't want to send my BRAND NEW laptop back...

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Sometimes it shows black in low light, are the lights on? If it works with the lights on, I recommend iGlasses for night vision.

3. Rhosfelt thread starter macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Lights are on, and it's about 4 in the afternoon here so there is enough ambient to show up something. The screen is just completely black...

Edit- There might be something wrong with the internal connections, iMovie, iChat, and Photo Booth show nothing but a black screen, however I can get audio...

4. limitingflame1 macrumors newbie

i just got a new Macbook on Saturday and I'm having the same problem. It worked initially but now it's just a black screen, across all iSight applications. It's recognized in System Profiler and I get audio. Green lights on. I'm well-lit. Nothing but black! HELP!

5. JoeCo0611 macrumors member

I just had that happen to me tonight while in a video chat. The screen was black, but what I did was reset the PRAM.

here is the link i used:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

also, here are the steps I took, and now the iSight works:

MacBook, MacBook Pro
    1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
    2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
    3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
    4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
    5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

6. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

well, I did that, and it fixed mine for about 5 seconds, the screen froze, and then went black.

I don't really need it, but I want the damn thing to work.

7. limitingflame1 macrumors newbie

i took it to the apple store and they said it was a problem with the camera itself and they gave me anew computer

8. Rhosfelt thread starter macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

After a couple of restarts it worked fine...I don't know what was going on with mine..

At least you got a new computer out of it! I have applecare so if one day it doesn't work again I will just send it in.

9. JedSezZed macrumors newbie

Great post Joe. Thanks very much. I pulled my brand new MacBook Black out of the box and the camera wasn't working. I went from :confused: to :( to :mad: to :)

Thanks again.

10. burnzilla macrumors newbie

Ok weird, its seems to be happening a lot to new macs.
    I just bought my first macbooks(or mac for that matter) TODAY!!!!!
    And what do I get....a non functioning isight camera.

Yes i turned the laptop off, took the battery out and help power button...................nada.

I am kindda pissed really as I what to chat with my sister that is in Spain.
    Im just sad and disapointed:(

11. bcunning0116 macrumors newbie

Had same problem

I just bought a new (early 2009) macbook pro 15in, 4g ram, and had the same issue--my isight camera was not working with photo booth, iMovie, anything. I completely reinstalled OS X with the reinstall cd that came with the MBP and reverted to a TM backup that predated some of the updates I installed---did all the safe restarts, took battery out and held power button for 15 sec....none of this worked.

What did end up working was the following:
    1) reinstalling the apps bundle from the cd that came with my computer, following the prompt to restart my computer.
    2) I then went to 'system preferences'->'print and fax'->and then removed the 'hp printers' on the left column.
    3) I then searched 'hp' in spotlight and removed all programs that had 'hp' in the title.

After doing this my isight works again! It now shows up under the 'system profiler'->'usb' section when it previously did not.

This also seemed to stop another problem: my fan was CONSTANTLY running at high speeds (~6000rpm)...very annoying.

So, note to mac: don't give away printers that destroy the functionality of your computers! Post script to HP, leave my computer alone!

Best of luck to you all with similar problems.