brand new macbook pro battery loses charge while plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twelve18, Aug 7, 2009.

1. twelve18 macrumors newbie

hi! i'm new to macrumors, as i just got a brand new macbook pro for college last month (with the free iTouch :D).

anyways, my laptop is less than a month old, but i've noticed when it's plugged in (i don't run on battery power), the battery percentage is going down. :( not the capacity, but just how much charge the laptop has. (excuse me if i'm using the wrong terms). and in about one-two weeks, the battery goes down past 95% and it starts charging itself. :(

is this normal?

2. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Yeah. rechargeable batteries will discharge over time if you don't use them.

3. twelve18 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I would check the power cord

Sounds like you might have an issue either with the power cord assembly or its port.

Also, it's not good to run the notebook plugged in constantly. Charge the battery, then use it without the power adapter. Let it run down to the low battery warning then repeat to extend your battery life. There's some good info out there that explains why you should do this.

Cheers!

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

@ OP-There is no issue. What your saying is normal.

Running down the batt. all the way once a month is recommended.

6. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I'm happy to report

that's not been my experience in the least. Then again, I'm a bit of a noodge when it comes to battery maintenance considering that I can't easily swap the thing out as I used to be able to.

Cheers!

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

Is it doing this only in one outlet? Or is it doing it with any outlet you have? Maybe there isn't enough power going to the notebook to make up for how much you are draining the battery.

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

9. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Age has nothing to do with it. I think you're thinking about total capacity, which declines with age/use. All rechargeable batteries, whether your phone, laptop, or digital camera will "leak" energy when not turned on/in use.

If you dont use battery power often, I would recommend draining the battery every 2-4 weeks. This helps with memory problems with the battery, and should slightly increase the life of the battery

10. klee1987 macrumors regular

mine also does the same. I don't think there's any need to worry.