Brand New Macbook pro cosmetic flaws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nirvanaxp, Jun 14, 2010.

1. nirvanaxp macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new to the forums here.

I just purchased a new MBP 15 from an apple store on Friday. I noticed that the box had some scratches on the outside and just thought, whatever, maybe that happened when they removed it from the shipping pallet.
    When I opened it, I noticed that the MBP had two small but very visible scratches or problems with the finish on the corner. Also, it looked like the mag safe port had been used before. The box looked to have been jostled somewhere in transit because there were signs of wear all over the packaging and cardboard inside.

I haven't taken the plastic wrapper off the MBP yet either. What should I do? Call apple? Take it to a store? Will they simply swap it for a new one or will I have to "return" this one and buy a different one?

Is the macbook pro considered opened if I didn't break the printed license sticker?

ps. I bought an ipod touch using the back to school offer. I haven't sent the rebate yet. I don't know if that affects this.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What do you mean the magsafe port looks used?:confused::confused:

3. nirvanaxp thread starter macrumors newbie

I can see a small indentation in the plastic where the magsafe plug would go. Maybe it was tested in the factory or something, but still.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I think, technically if the seal on the box is broken then it is considered open. However, if you have not broken the seal containing the licensing sticker that covers the macbook pro directly, then you may have a decent argument that you haven't even opened/turned on/used the computer once.

If you are that concerned about it all I'd recommend taking it into a nearby apple store.

Though, I'd get some pictures up for us to look at before wasting your time at the Apple store.

5. prism macrumors 6502a

Just curious how you were able to inspect the outer casing of your MBP without removing the plastic wrapper and printed seal?

6. Reapur macrumors regular

The plastic is transparent, meaning its clear, meaning you can see though it.
    I don't really see where your confusion stems from.

7. Reapur macrumors regular

You paid thousands of dollars for a computer that should be pristine. A lot of these instances are being reported, that the computer case looks scratched or has small dents in it, there is a serious problem with quality control going on during the manufacturing process.

Take it back and exchange it for a brand new one there should be no issue with your reasonable request to get a new un damaged product in exchange for your hard earned money. Show them the damage and there should be no questions asked and no restocking fees. Its better to do it sooner rather than later.

You have to go to http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ and make a reservation at your local Apple Store. They dont bite go in there and exchange the machine.

8. nirvanaxp thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks I'll try that. The scratches actually occurred where there is no plastic covering it. (on the corner)

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

don't break the seal. go to the store, ask to speak to the manager and just explain it to them in a short, polite and firm way.

10. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

rofl-copter.

11. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I am sure that if you look around the forums, I am sure you will read my tragic tale. I went through all 5 or 6 2.66 13 inch mbp's in stock at best buy, and every single one had some sort of scratch. You should take it back, and don't accept a restocking fee, that crap. They tried to pull that on me. Get a manager from where you got it, and explain that it is unacceptable. These are expensive computers, you should get a pristine mbp, that's what you paid for not a scratched mbp.