Brand new MacBook Pro crashes on start-up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Angel Cakes, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Angel Cakes macrumors newbie

A cry for help from a newbie.

I replaced my beloved iBook G4 running OSX 10:4:11, 1.42GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB memory.

Today I received my brand new MacBook Pro 15.4"/2.8/2x2GB/500/SD/GLSY/GBR/GBR

I followed the Setup Assistant to migrate the contents of my iBook onto the MBP using Firewire, allowing all boxes (applications, etc) to remain ticked.

After a couple of hours (about 60GB in all) it was ready and I clicked to restart. It began well with my desktop picture from the iBook appearing, then the cursor and a black Spotlight icon in the top right hand corner. But instead of everything else appearing — hard-drive icon, desktop bits, dock, etc — it froze as the cursor turned into the spinning beachball of doom. :eek: (You can move the beachball around the screen but nothing else.)

I let it hang there for 20 minutes in case this was part of the process. In the end I switched it off with the power button and then started up the MBP. Again, it looked good for a moment with the appearance of my desktop pic but again the cursor turned into the beachball. :eek: :eek:

Has something from the iBook corrupted the new system — Tiger trumped Snow Leopard? If so, shouldn't there be a warning? Or, if there's software such as Microsoft Office 2008 which needs to be deauthorised, would this be enough to wreck things?

I switched off the MBP and reinstalled the Mac OSX Install DVD. A window let me know installation was successful and then told me to click restart. I did this expecting this to wipe the MBP clean but again my old desktop pic reappeared, again the beachball and the Big Freeze. :eek:

I switched off and started again using the Applications bundle install disk and holding down the C key for Hardware Test. The test showed nothing was wrong.

Turned it off again and started with Install Disk 1, holding down key C. Then Utilities and verify disk.
    Result: The Volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK

Can't find a clean install option. So choosing Erase (intention to start from scratch), Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then install from Disk 1.

If this works and takes me back to square one (it's been a lo-o-o-ong day!), I will copy manually from the iBook using Firewall. But I'm worried that I'll inadvertently copy over the thing that did the damage and have to start over again. And will I lose all my settings? :confused:

2) Also, how do you highlight text with the new multi-touch track pad? On the old one, you slide over the text and then click the bottom button.

3) DVD drive is crunchy and noisy.

This is a very dispiriting experience after having had such good service from my iBook, now sadly very slow and a bit decrepit. :(

Please help. Thank you.

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Can't say on your main issue but:

2. Either double tap the pad (Have to have make sure "tap to click" is checked under System Pref-Trackpad-One finger) then scroll over the text (when using this option you have to single tap again when done to "detach" the cursor or you will drag the highlighting around and go mad) or click and hold the pad down and scroll over the text.

3. My drive is kind of loud and crunchy sounding too when it loads but it sounds normal when running and seems to work.

3. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I would try to reformat the drive, maybe some bad sectors? then try the migration again.

4. Angel Cakes thread starter macrumors newbie

Swallowed DVD — no show and no ejection

I redid everything from scratch and copied the long way round as I don't trust the information migration process. It took me all evening and most of today but it's working OK now.

But ...

I just settled down to watch my first DVD and it's swallowed it. Nothing coming up in the Finder window or on the desktop, and the DVD won't eject.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    What do I do now? Could it be anything to do with the crunchy sound? My iBook had soething similar and got through three optic drives in three years. Thankfully, I had the extended warranty.

5. kolax macrumors G3

I'd avoid using Migration Assistant or restoring from Time Machine backups etc. You are best doing a format, fresh install and manually installing all your applications, then dragging all your files across etc.

6. Takashi macrumors regular

Don't migrate from old OS to new OS. You never do that with PC and I would avoid using that on a mac either.

I would wipe the drive clean and rebuild from scratch. I would then transfer the data from your old laptop the old fashion using USB sticks or external hard drive.