Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hirsty86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Hi, I bought a 13" macbook pro only weeks ago and since the day I bought it I noticed any sudden movement causes a "clicking" noise from the hard drive. At first I assumed that apple have included some sort of safety anti shock casing built around the hard drive in case of acidentally dropping the macbook.

Just wondered if any of you guys could confirm this noise is normal or if I should look into it further, ie book into genius bar.

Thanks, Andy

maldoblaz

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
Mexico City
Hi, I bought a 13" macbook pro only weeks ago and since the day I bought it I noticed any sudden movement causes a "clicking" noise from the hard drive. At first I assumed that apple have included some sort of safety anti shock casing built around the hard drive in case of acidentally dropping the macbook.

Just wondered if any of you guys could confirm this noise is normal or if I should look into it further, ie book into genius bar.

Thanks, Andy

Macbook pro's have a very good HD installed. A soft clicking noise is normal when you read or write data. If you just move your computer and make noises is NOT NORMAL!! Apple has a strong guarantee service that you should use. Go to the Genius Bar and show them your problem. They will assist you for sure.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Macbook pro's have a very good HD installed. A soft clicking noise is normal when you read or write data. If you just move your computer and make noises is NOT NORMAL!! Apple has a strong guarantee service that you should use. Go to the Genius Bar and show them your problem. They will assist you for sure.

Uh what are you talking about... He is setting off the sudden motion sensor which the click noise is the heads parking and protecting itself.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
you can get a dud drive that is noisey from the factory, makes a clicking chugging sort of noise, eventually might fail, if your lucky you will notice the SMART status as failing.

It could be normal, compare it to another one, if it sounds abnormal, get it replaced, ensure you have your data backed up.

sfaguy

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
i notice the noise too even from not-so-hard movements. so i decided to disable the sensor using the 'sudo pmset' command.

that noise just drives me crazy. i thought it was a loose screw or the DVD drive was not set properly. i will leave it disabled.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
It exists for a reason. I wouldn't suggest disabling it because you use it while moving; that's exactly what it's for. You're running the risk of hard drive damage or failure. I hope at least you have a backup.

Oh, and maldoblaz, Macs normally use mediocre parts at best. Just because Apple uses them doesn't make them good.

Xemi

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
I have the 15" MBP from this year, I took it to the genius bar a couple of weeks back and they told me that its perfectly normal especially when using the computer on your lap as (quoting the guy at the genius bar) "They aren't made to be used on your lap" >.> but anyway yeah I took it in because when it was clicking it would freeze up for around half a second and he just said to back it up just incase it does fail. If it does fail or continues to click/freeze he said to take it in and they would just replace the HDD but couldn't do it at that time because of no fault showing up.

So yeah the clicking is probably just the HDD parking itself when you move it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.