Brand New MacBook Pro, headphones not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EthanXC1, May 31, 2010.

1. EthanXC1 macrumors member

I just got this macbook pro on Saturday and I tried plugging in headphones for the first time today. It's not working, I tried a couple different headphones, nothing. Sound continues to come out the main speakers. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what to do?

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Can you see a red light inside the input? IIRC, this has been a bit of an issue for some here as there is a small lever inside the jack that triggers the optical out and cuts off the headphone bus...from what i've read you can stick a toothpick or paperclip inside and push the lever back to disengage the optical out...

3. EthanXC1 thread starter macrumors member

If I don't see the red light, I should stick a tooth pick in? Is it possible I mess anything up? I could always take it to the apple store since I just bought it, I may wait.

4. striker9 macrumors member

make sure you are pushing them in COMPLETELY. I've noticed it only takes a very small amount for them not to be recognized. Once you plug it in it wont immediately switch over, it takes several seconds.

If not that, check for the red light as said above.

5. EthanXC1 thread starter macrumors member

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

From what I have read, you should not see a red light inside the input...if you do see a red light, you need to go in there and click it off...

7. EthanXC1 thread starter macrumors member

I don't see a red light, I guess I'll just take it in tomorrow.

8. Betelgeuse macrumors member

You don't have the headphones in far enough. I just went and tried it on my 15" MBP and I was barely able to see *any* of the metallic headphone jack when I pushed the headphones in all the way. There is a point when you're putting the headphones in where you feel like you've reached a limit by they're *not* in all of the way.

Try putting a little bit of firm pressure and see if they click into place. You don't want to force it, but they should go in fairly easily with a little bit of firm pressure.

If they don't go in with a little bit of firm pressure, there may be something wrong with your headphone jack; your headphones are definitely not in all of the way.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

You may have already done this, but just to be sure it's not your headphones, you should connect another pair of headphones (perhaps your iPhone/iPod headset)

10. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

11. EthanXC1 thread starter macrumors member

12. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Hey better to be safe than sorry.

13. EthanXC1 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah and I'm sure glad I did not go into the Apple Store saying my headphone jack is broken, haha.

14. djpuma macrumors regular

I'm having the issue that someone mentioned here. I plug the headphones in and it takes several seconds for the sound to switch to the headphones. I have a 17" i7 and I tested it on another 17" i7 at work and it switches as soon as it's plugged in. two different headphones and same result.