Brand New MacBook Pro is slow and laggy. Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marold280, Oct 19, 2009.

1. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

H, ive just got my new amazing 13 inch macbook pro in the mail.
    When i first booted it, it was slow, i mean like, taking about 20 seconds to open safari. Freezes constantly. Its rather annoying. Is it something that a new computer usually does ? Does it need waking up ?

Ive reset pram and smu. cba doing a hardware test. Is there something wrong with it ?

Other than than its amazing :)

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Reinstall Snow Leopard?

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Lots of bookmarks/ already filled up the Hard Drive a lot?The general slowness/laggiyness/occassional random beachballing is still an issue but likely to improve as we get more updates, and Safari gets updated at some point in time.

4. djjclark macrumors regular

Need more details - is it freezing only in Safari or is it a general thing? Is spotlight still indexing the drive? Look in the console logs to see if there any messages that will give you a hint on where it is freezing.

If it just Safari make sure your networking is setup correctly.

5. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

Sorry i did need to be more specific.
    Safari was only an example. its generally everywhere over the system.

Boot time is long, opening any application. system preferences freezes all the time.

6. vimkgt macrumors newbie

Sounds like a hard drive issue I would guess... first do all updates, there was one just released to address a hard drive issue with some models... if that doesn't help...

Try reinstalling Snow Leopard to see if it gets any better. Otherwise, it sounds like maybe the hard drive is about to die.

7. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

actually i do hear a click when i lift the laptop up sometimes.

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Before reinstalling anything - does Activity Monitor show any processes taking up a lot of CPU or RAM? Make sure to filter on "All Processes" not just your own.

You say it's new. Have you install anything? Did you import accounts/applications from an older Mac?

One possibility if it's new, Spotlight might not have finished indexing the drive.

9. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

OSX can be laggy before spotlight does its thing, but it usually doesn't take very long :confused:

10. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

im new to mac and everything.. but I got my laptop yesterday and everytime that I turn it on its takes around 30 secs to start up and then its ready to go. as soon as i see my background it is ready to use and safari starts up right away. It might be the comp. which I hope it is not and wish you luck man.

11. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

okay no i am extremely pissed off.

I have just got the replacement macbook pro, which took bloody ages to come any way because apple buggered the postage.

But its doing the same ! its still REALLY slow ! this is just ridiculous !

The only thing i have done is turn it on. restore it using a time machine back up and restarted it. nothing else. its not even indexing!

Apple is going to get one angry phone call tomorrow. This is not their usual standard

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

So it has to do something with what you're restoring through Time Machine if it's the second one. Instead of asking for a replacement, do a clean install yourself and that will probably solve the problems you may be having.

13. frankinmerth macrumors newbie

I noticed the same thing on my macbook pro 13, rediculously slow. I sold a blackbook and had a chance to do a cheap upgrade so went for it, but its SLOWER. By FAR. Launch time, shutdown times etc seem to be the primary problem. 4 bounces on my macbook ->23 bounces on my macbook pro.

The reason I am posting is I also did an install from time machine. I wonder if this is the causes. It isn't the EFI update for SATA, and it isn't the 'performance update' for hard drive pauses. I've done a disk check, looked for active processes, tested memory etc. Xbench shows the drive performing poorly so I always thought it was related to that, but alone it is not enough to explain it, IMHO.

I will also do a fresh install and see where it gets me.

14. chrisrottan macrumors member

Then time machine files are messing up the notebook.
    Mine starts up in less than 20 seconds, safari opens up in less than a second, shuts down in 3-4 seconds

15. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

frankinmerth ive just erased and done a clean install on both and they are now both working ! Just drag your files from your time machine over. its not that difficult :)

16. frankinmerth macrumors newbie

This is very reassuring I will have time hopefully on saturday to git'r'done, am doing a ram and HD swap at the same time, hence the wait to reinstall.

17. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

Good luck to you :) what memory and hard drive are you going for ?

I refrained from spending more than the actual computer was worth on the 8GB memory upgrade from apple. Getting 4GB from play.com when i can afford !

Unfortunately apple are collecting my first macbook pro today. They didn't forget...

18. Tudeski macrumors member

The click you here is the sudden motion sensor in the system. It senses sudden motion and parks the hard drive heads, as to not damage any platters. It should be clicking if you move it quickly....that's a good thing. I notice that if I quickly tilt mine i hear it.... it's ok :D

19. frankinmerth macrumors newbie

I used kingston ram.

So everything's back up, fresh install, not using time machine at all. Seems MUCH improved.

Xbench gave a similar score to before with numbers still lower than I'd expect, but applications shut down and start fast again and the wierd delays are gone.