BRAND new macbook pro question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TopHatPlus, Aug 31, 2010.

1. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

So i just got my brand new macbook pro 15" 2.66 ghz i7, 4 gb ram, high res, 500 gb 7200 rpm hdd, and I am ecstatic this computer is SO fast it blow my mind all over the table, the question i have is about the SD card slot, is there limit on data transfer for the SD card slot or is it limited by the speed of the card? i have a 16 GB sandisk extreme 2 that transfers @ 15 mb/s and a 4 GB sandisk extreme 3 that transfers @ 30 mb/s so can i transfer at those speeds or is it buffered? i tried importing 1 GB i had on the slower card and it transferred extremely fast but i cannot remember how fast the usb 2.0 was because i never really paid much attention.

Thanks

i love this computer!!!!

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

there is a limit but you probably won't hit it
    my extreme 30mb/s transfers just fine
    hits 29mb/s from time to time so I'm assuming that the SD reader isn't an issue in terms of speed

3. TopHatPlus thread starter macrumors 6502

that is awesome, no more slow usb 2.0 transfers!!!! excited haha the more i use this computer the more in awe i am!!! and i also picked up a magic mouse so new computer and new mouse and i love them both =D

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

The SD card slot runs off the USB bus (edit: Yes, I see what I did there). You're not going to get faster transfer rates over an external reader.
    [​IMG]

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

what can I say, FireWire 800!
    I get 50MB/s to my encrypted disk. when transferring stuff outside the encrypted part I get 75 to 80MB/s

7. Deanoaka macrumors member

I've literally ordered the same setup as you TopHat :D

Can't wait for mine to be delivered, 14th Sept estimate though!! :(