Brand New Macbook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChrisBoven, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ChrisBoven macrumors member

Hey I just picked up the new macbook pros released today. I love it! But is there a way to make the the expose keys (f8, f9, etc) work without fn, but also allow the brightness and volume keys to work without fn? Thanks!

2. andresrw macrumors member

yes you can! go to the preferences and find the option!!! (i dont remember since my PB where stolen last year!!!)

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

Actually, I don't think you can do this.

4. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

What verison of 15' did you get 2.2 or 2.4 also what screen did you get glossy or matte.

5. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Actually, you can.
    Because F8, F9, among other keys were reserved for hardware options, you have to, in the Keyboard & Mouse preference, check the box "Use F1-F12 keys to control software features".

After you select that, whenever you want to control brightness (F1,F2), sound (F3, F4, F5,), num lock (F6), mirrored/extended desktop (F7), keyboard backlight (F8, F9, F10), you have to use the Function (fn) key.

6. gavd macrumors 6502a

This supports what I was saying - the OP wants to use both Expose and alter brightness etc, without using the fn key. He's wanting to mix the hardware and software features which I didn't think you could do, and this is what you seem to be saying too?

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You are talking about having 2 actions mapped to one key, without any modifiers...how would this be possible?

8. hanzoh macrumors member

And how useless would it be to change the keyboard brightness everytime you use Exposé?

9. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I just mapped Exposé to the corners of my screen (lower left and lower right). Much easier I think...

10. keenkreations macrumors regular

I believe that would be the only way, since the buttons on the MPB share the function. Unless the OP wants to reword what they are saying to be more specific about what they are looking for, meaning if they also wanted remapped keys or something.

11. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

I think he wants to use F9 and F10 as expose (without using the Fn key, so you can do it with 1 hand), and also keep the rest (F1-F8) the way they are.

I think you can do it this way:

1. Go to Sys Pref -> Keyboard -> Check "Use F1-F12 to control software features..."
    2. Get Keyboard Maestro http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/
    3. Use Keyboard Maestro to map F1, F2 to brightness, F3-F5 to volume, etc...

Not exactly perfect but close.

12. krimb1 macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! Keyboard Maestro was exactly what I was looking for!

13. r88my macrumors regular

I see what you did there! ;)