Brand new macbook pro screen scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b140410, Feb 22, 2012.

1. b140410 macrumors newbie

I bought a brand new 13" macbook pro about 3 weeks ago. However a few days ago I've noticed tiny little scratches dotted all about the screen and i have found more today. Ive been very careful with it so I'm confused where they're coming from..Im wondering if its the keyboard as I've heard this before? Its just disappointing spending so much on a product and for it to have scratches on it so soon when its not like I've knocked it or the metal part of the charger has hit the screen when I've removed it for example :/ I've tried cleaning the screen properly but the scratches are quite deep. Any ideas to the cause of this? Would it be a bad thing to continuously leave the mac lid up even if switched off, just incase it is the keyboard causing these little scratches to the screen?

Thanks.

2. techfest macrumors member

pictures please

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What are you cleaning the screen with? If you have dust or debris on the cloth you're wiping the screen with, it can scratch like you're describing.

4. b140410 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't post pictures at the moment as I'm not at home. Sorry.. I wrote that incorrectly. I haven't actually cleaned the screen yet because i know something rough can scratch it my brother has suggested i use a soft chamois cloth to clean the screen..But if i run my finger over the little scratches i can feel the groove so they are pretty deep and are very random which makes me think it could be the keyboard..

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Having lived in houses with some flavor of Apple laptop in them for the last 10 years, I can almost guarantee you that it's not the keyboard unless some of your keys are loose. If the keyboard is dirty, or you have debris on the screen when you close it, it's possible, but again, very unlikely to be related to simply closing your laptop.

6. techfest macrumors member

u must be doing something cause the pros have a GLASS screen whch is a fairly scratch resistant material. how often do you scratch your window? LOL

7. Laco macrumors 6502

I managed to scratch my screen with the keyboard (2006 Macbook, before the glass). I was stupid when I first bought it and I put in my bag where there were some heavy books which pressed down on it. This created some scratches which look like keyboard keys and line up well with the keyboard.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Non-unibodies that was a fairly common problem that went away with the unibody change.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My impression is that while the keyboards do touch the screen sometimes (both on my 2008 non-unibody (matte) and on my 2011 unibody (matte)), the marks are just from the dirt/grease on the keyboard that is transferred to the screen.

Fortunately on the anti-glare the marks are only visible when the screen is off, so I don't even try to remove them. Maybe the glass screen is more sensitive to scratches.

10. techfest macrumors member

i thought the other way around since the anti glare doesnt have a glass display but just a thing plastic matte film of some sort

im surprised u get marks. the anti glares dont have a glass screen cover thus the disply is "deeper" in the display casing itself.

i have a moshi keyboard cover on mine too and NEVER have had any mark from the keyboard

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, I use a messenger bag, so the screen bounces around on my back when I walk very fast. While my bag has a layer of protection, it seems that every once in a while there is contact. However the unibody is much more robust, I think actual contact doesn't happen that often.

I can't be bothered to wrap multiple layers of protection around my mac, so I'm fine with it. The old MBP still has a perfect screen, after several years of being treated like that ;)

Note that in a backpack, the force on the laptop is distributed better, at least as long as you don't overload it.