Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickman772

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Hey all,
Just got a i7 MBP and its great (a huge upgrade from my G4 iBook). I started to notice about a week ago that every once in a while my trackpad makes a little ting noise when I click it, or sometimes just when I'm leaning on the computer while typing. At first it was just every once in a while, but now its starting to happen pretty much all the time. I actually used to work at an Apple Store, so i know that they can be extremely lax about replacing little problems on new machines, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem on their unibody laptops and if anyone thinks i should do something about it. It sounds like something is tapping the glass very slightly from underneath the trackpad.
Thanks.

Bosmonster

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
All (or at least most) new MBP's seem to have this "tingy" sound. I also have it.

It is still not entirely sure what causes it.

bibliophile1974

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
"Tingy" is the perfect way to describe it. I have it too! It's not all the time, but there are times when it makes the noise quite often. It's almost hard to tell whether the sound is mechanical or computer-generated. I'm pretty sure it's mechanical though.

Mid—2010 15" MBP

Has anyone had this fixed?

akswun

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2009
i'm assuming its the spring of the trackpad. My trackpad makes that sound too. It's not broken. You're just a little paranoid. If you pick up your MBP you'll hear the sound as well. Just like a house your computer will make all types of sounds.
Save yourself the embarrassment and just live with it. Along with 'my mbp is hot' and 'i can hear the hd spin' . Be worried when your battery explodes, or your monitor is flickering....

sorry for being so sarcastic ... im at work on a sunday.

Chris.J

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2010
Glad it's not just mine that does this. I was starting to think it was the hinges about to give me grief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.