Brand new macbook pro was fast, now un-usably slow, HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alecapple, Jul 11, 2009.

1. alecapple macrumors regular

I just bought a new 13" Macbook Pro yesterday, I got home started it up, connected to the internet, ran the software updates, and then put about 30gb of music, pictures and documents from my old pc onto the new mac. Then i was video chatting with someone on skype, and the video would freeze every 5 seconds, and then it got to the point where the whole computer would freeze, the beachball came up and i couldn't do anything, couldnt restart, nothing. So when that happens to my pc i just hold the power button down and it turns off, and i turn it back on. When i help the power button down on the MBP it turned off, and when i went to turn it back on, it would go to the white and grey apple icon background, and would have a spinning wheel, forever, until i held the power button down again, and it went off, i then reset the pram, and it came on after about 6-7 minutes, and now everything is horribly slow, i mean i cant even type a sentence without the beachball showing up. So i restarted the computer and it still took 7 minutes to come back on, whereas it only took 53 seconds to turn off and start back up before all this happened. so here i am now, with a slower computer that the windows machine it was meant to replace, im going to call apple when i get up in the afternoon, but what do you guys think could be wrong. Could it have gotten too hot from video chatting, and something happened on the inside, or was it from putting the files on there, or forcing it to turn off, any input would be greatly appreciated.

sorry for the bad grammar but its 5 in the morning an ive been up since 7am the previous day, almost 24 hours.

2. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Wow that sounds bad. Maybe some of your application prefs and/or data are corrupted? Take it back to Apple to get the help that you effectively already paid for when you bought your mac!

3. pmcb macrumors member

have you tried simply re installing os x? did the machine feel physically hot while you were video chatting?

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Could have been the weight of indexing your new files, and starting stopping in a non-normal way could have hurt the system and so had to reindex.
    If you're siltl having the freezes when using sykp,e, get activity monitorup )cmd key and space bar together to get to spotlight, then activity monitor) and see what's using resources.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Is there a small dot in the middle of your Spotlight menu bar icon? That means it's indexing. Everything else tends to slow to a crawl if it's indexing.

6. alecapple thread starter macrumors regular

When I was using skype, it was very hot, I had smc fancontrol going and it was 164f with the fans running at 4000rpm. But i dont know how to cool it down, i mean it was maybe 70f where i was using it, air conditioned.

I check the spotlight bar, and there was no dot, so i'm assuming that it wasnt just indexing, and it's still taking 6+ minutes to turn on.

So right now I am re-installing os x, and I set it to completely erase and reformat the drive, so that there would be nothing left.

If i get done reinstalling and its still uber slow, do you think the problem could be the logic board?

I havent called apple yet, but I will if re-installing doesnt work.

Thanks for the replies too!
    :apple:

7. iyacyas macrumors member

Read this thread...

Take it back to Apple... Do not let them fix it only exchange (if you are within your 14 day period) as they have a problem with these machines.

Read this thread!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883

Sorry MacRumors but...

You should also read this forum!
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2054387&start=0&tstart=0

As you read these you need to know that this is not only affecting 3rd party drives. It is indeed affecting stock and BTO drives as well.

8. alecapple thread starter macrumors regular

Called apple this afternoon, after i reinstalled the os, and they told me after an hour long conversation that i should get it exchanged, because they couldnt fix the problem.

So i have an appointment to get the thing replaced tomorrow at 1:15.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

9. alecapple thread starter macrumors regular

Called apple this afternoon, after i reinstalled the os, and they told me after an hour long conversation that i should get it exchanged, because they couldnt fix the problem.

So i have an appointment to get the thing replaced tomorrow at 1:15.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

10. iyacyas macrumors member

Beware

They may want you to send it in to get the logic board changed or what ever they think is wrong. If you are within your 14 day, do not let them do this only take exchange. By the time you get it back from repair you will have passed your 14 day period and if there is a problem you will be stuck with it and have to wait again for it to be sent out for repair. I would get an exchange and check the firmware level at the store to verify that it does not have the update.

Here is how you can verify the update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Good luck!