Brand New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caldavey, Jan 16, 2008.

1. caldavey macrumors member

caldavey

I just went and returned my black MacBook and got the base model MBP. The guy said that it didn't come with Leopard, but it did. But actually, as I'm typing this, my eyes are going out and I thought about the Matte vs. Glossy screen. How would I know if it's glossy or matte? I'm actually kinda mad because I wanted Glossy and I think I got Matte. Can someone please help me out real quick? Thanks in advance.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hold the MBP up and use the screen like a mirror and try to reflect a light that's behind you. The matte screen will barely reflect any light at all, while the glossy screen will pretty much reflect everything that's behind you.

3. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

the glossy screen would be glossy and have almost like a mirror effect to it... matte there is no glare at all.. matte is the best for not having glare but glossy is better for bringing out colors better on the screen:apple::apple:

4. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Well the light to my right, when i hold it to it and look at the screen, instead of seeing a lamp, I see a blurred light.

5. bobthebob01 Guest

well since leopard came out, all new mac are supposed to be shipped with it. Unless the MBP was lingering around the shelves and was purchased by your supplier prior leopard release.

for your screen, like clayj said turn on all the lights in your room, sit in different spots and see if you see a lot of reflection or even yourself on the screen.
    which you won't with a matte screen

6. ewettach macrumors newbie

you probably have a matte screen if it doesn't reflect the light very well and is "blurred"

7. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

turn all the lights on and see if you can see your reflection and a glare on the screen if soo it is most likely a glossy:apple::apple:

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sounds like you got matte, then. The glossy screens are really obviously reflective.

9. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Well, damnit, I guess I got the Matte... I really wanted the Gossy because I do a lot with videos and photos and watching stuff on Youtube... Oh well, I guess there's nothing I can do now.

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I much prefer the matte... no reflections to deal with.

11. mr. feeny macrumors member

You can within 12 days take it back or swap it out at the apple store. I just got my Macbook Pro; also the base model and when i purchased they did not ask what options as far as screen choice goes. Not paying attention I didn't even notice that they didn't ask. I lucked out and got glossy which i initially wanted.

12. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Ya, I hadn't noticed it until I was sitting here thinking "Why is the screen seem to be less glossier than the MacBook?". Then I realized and I'm pretty dissapointed and the worst part is is that this was their last MACBOOK PRO. Whatever, I guess I'll have to deal with it.:cool:

GOD, I also do a lot of gaming!!!!AHHHHHHH!

13. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

It will have good resale value to creative people in the future.

Most artists, photographers, etc prefer matte over glossy.

Glossy distorts color gamut and brightness gamma.

Can't you return it?

14. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

I have a quick question if I can return it:
    I heard that they were going to release new MacBook Pros today during the Final Cut thing or something. Did it happen?
    If I do return it I have to pay a 15% restocking fee unless it is defective.

15. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I don't think that rumor is true. Or else there would have been posts regarding the updates showing up. Unless of course they plan to announce it within the next 15 minutes.

The Final Cut supermeeting is tonight from 7PM to 10PM, right now its 9:45PM.

16. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Lol, I just figured out why the screen was so dull... it was because I was changing the keyboard brightness, not the screens brightness.

17. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have the matte MBP. At first I wanted a glossy screen but after using it for a couple of weeks I liked the matte a LOT better. It is easier on my eye and I get less headaches than with a glossy screen.

18. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I second that -- I have one of each. I like Matte better.