Brand new Macbook White....one problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tonedef407, Feb 25, 2009.

1. tonedef407 macrumors regular

I just bought a brand new Nvidia Macbook White from Amazon. Love it so far. One problem,and I will post a pic,there is a small nick on the top left corner of the casing of the screen. Its noticeable but otherwise the computer is great,no keyboard flex that I can see or any other cosmetic issues. Would it be worth it to go through the whole Amazon exchange for just this issue with no guarantee that the replacement would be any better?

[​IMG]

2. Turmoil macrumors regular

If it were mine, I would ask for a return. I want a new computer to start off new. I can scratch it up just fine on my own.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Normally I dont care about small defects and things.. But that seems like it was dropped or some thing like that.. Who knows what else could be wrong with it, or go wrong..

4. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick advice guys. Since Amazon is normally quick with replacements,I went ahead and placed a return order. I would hate for any issue to come up and I have to take it in for warranty and Apple claims I dropped it when I never did. Lets hope that the new one I get isn't worse. :(

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Good for you on exchanging it!
    From your original post: "small nick" <-- dude that looks like a chunk missing!!
    I wouldnt even have thought twice about exchanging it! Thats unacceptable for a new computer to show up looking like that!

6. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea the more I think about it your right. I have to admit though, outside of that, I am loving this computer. Its my first Mac since my Vista laptop just decided it didn't want to connect to my schools wi-fi anymore. Aluminum would have been nice,but money was tight just affording this one.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

A Mac is a Mac my friend! I recently switched once the new (aluminum) MacBook was released. My only regret is not buying a Mac YEARS ago!
    Enjoy your new Mac when it arrives! (hopefully in better shape!):)

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Definitely return it.

To get a "nick" like that, it may have taken a good hit at some point between assembly and your door.

9. budkid macrumors regular

10. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

11. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

A nasty like that screams Dollar Store to me. Like it would be fine on a lettuce strainer but a $1000 notebook....nope!

12. OnceBitten macrumors member

I also bought my 2.0 through Amazon, and my fan would stop every 5 minute, the Apple store changed it out and I am happy for that.

13. hwmbrogden macrumors member

Sounds like amazon isnt exactly the best vendor for macs.

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

That's not accurate. We could say "Apple isnt the best vendor for Macbooks" since people have gotten defective ones straight from Apple.

It's all luck of the draw. It's not like Apple sends lesser quality machines to Amazon.

15. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

It was very well packed by Amazon. I have no doubt it was caused at assembly

16. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Well it's really up to you personally. I swapped my Macbook aluminum for a different issue... and I ended up with one that was made in oct instead of dec... (2 months older battery etc) and the screen wasn't as nice as the panel in the newer one.

17. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

OP, can you fix the link to the pic? i'd like to see this!

18. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

pic is still working for me. is anyone else not seeing it?

19. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Showing up fine for me.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Works for me; try resetting your browser.

21. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

hm..that's bizarre. i'm not on my mac right now and i'm running google's chrome browser..but i tried viewing with firefox as well and that didn't work. i'll check from my mac when i get home.

22. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

Quick Update:

So for some reason Amazon decides to ship with FedEx this time who I can't stand. I have packages shipped to my parents house who live nearby because I have had stuff stolen off my porch. I check the tracking number and it shows delivered,so I call my dad up and he says that it hasn't been. He calls me back a few minutes later and says he drove around the neighborhood and it had been left on a neighbors doorstep that wasn't even home. So FedEx left my 1000 dollar replacement MacBook on someones porch who wasn't home instead at my parents house where my Dad was waiting to receive it.:mad: I will post later tonight when I get a chance to look at it and see if its better than the first.

23. California macrumors 68040

California

Call up the local FedEx manager and report this. They communicate with their drivers constantly. That is terrible.

Also you never know what a drop that MacBook took to take a chunk out of the side like that. You did the right thing. How great is the new whitebook?

24. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

I talked with the FedEx manager. She was not amused about the situation so I think the driver got chewed out. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the new one yet,I'll post when I open it up. Overall though messing around with the damaged one,I am loving this Mac thing. I know its an old cliche but it is so much better than Windows.

25. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright guys,I have opened it up and looked it over and the new MacBook looks great!! Thanks everyone for encouraging me to return it. I know it would have driven me nuts!!