Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
I just bought a brand new Nvidia Macbook White from Amazon. Love it so far. One problem,and I will post a pic,there is a small nick on the top left corner of the casing of the screen. Its noticeable but otherwise the computer is great,no keyboard flex that I can see or any other cosmetic issues. Would it be worth it to go through the whole Amazon exchange for just this issue with no guarantee that the replacement would be any better?

av4h77.jpg

Turmoil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
If it were mine, I would ask for a return. I want a new computer to start off new. I can scratch it up just fine on my own.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Normally I dont care about small defects and things.. But that seems like it was dropped or some thing like that.. Who knows what else could be wrong with it, or go wrong..

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for the quick advice guys. Since Amazon is normally quick with replacements,I went ahead and placed a return order. I would hate for any issue to come up and I have to take it in for warranty and Apple claims I dropped it when I never did. Lets hope that the new one I get isn't worse. :(

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Thanks for the quick advice guys. Since Amazon is normally quick with replacements,I went ahead and placed a return order. I would hate for any issue to come up and I have to take it in for warranty and Apple claims I dropped it when I never did. Lets hope that the new one I get isn't worse. :(

Good for you on exchanging it!
From your original post: "small nick" <-- dude that looks like a chunk missing!!
I wouldnt even have thought twice about exchanging it! Thats unacceptable for a new computer to show up looking like that!

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Good for you on exchanging it!
From your original post: "small nick" <-- dude that looks like a chunk missing!!
I wouldnt even have thought twice about exchanging it! Thats unacceptable for a new computer to show up looking like that!

Yea the more I think about it your right. I have to admit though, outside of that, I am loving this computer. Its my first Mac since my Vista laptop just decided it didn't want to connect to my schools wi-fi anymore. Aluminum would have been nice,but money was tight just affording this one.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Yea the more I think about it your right. I have to admit though, outside of that, I am loving this computer. Its my first Mac since my Vista laptop just decided it didn't want to connect to my schools wi-fi anymore. Aluminum would have been nice,but money was tight just affording this one.

A Mac is a Mac my friend! I recently switched once the new (aluminum) MacBook was released. My only regret is not buying a Mac YEARS ago!
Enjoy your new Mac when it arrives! (hopefully in better shape!):)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Definitely return it.

To get a "nick" like that, it may have taken a good hit at some point between assembly and your door.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
A nasty like that screams Dollar Store to me. Like it would be fine on a lettuce strainer but a $1000 notebook....nope!

OnceBitten

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
I also bought my 2.0 through Amazon, and my fan would stop every 5 minute, the Apple store changed it out and I am happy for that.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Sounds like amazon isnt exactly the best vendor for macs.

That's not accurate. We could say "Apple isnt the best vendor for Macbooks" since people have gotten defective ones straight from Apple.

It's all luck of the draw. It's not like Apple sends lesser quality machines to Amazon.

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
It was very well packed by Amazon. I have no doubt it was caused at assembly

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Well it's really up to you personally. I swapped my Macbook aluminum for a different issue... and I ended up with one that was made in oct instead of dec... (2 months older battery etc) and the screen wasn't as nice as the panel in the newer one.

fourtyoneantz

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
hm..that's bizarre. i'm not on my mac right now and i'm running google's chrome browser..but i tried viewing with firefox as well and that didn't work. i'll check from my mac when i get home.

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Quick Update:

So for some reason Amazon decides to ship with FedEx this time who I can't stand. I have packages shipped to my parents house who live nearby because I have had stuff stolen off my porch. I check the tracking number and it shows delivered,so I call my dad up and he says that it hasn't been. He calls me back a few minutes later and says he drove around the neighborhood and it had been left on a neighbors doorstep that wasn't even home. So FedEx left my 1000 dollar replacement MacBook on someones porch who wasn't home instead at my parents house where my Dad was waiting to receive it.:mad: I will post later tonight when I get a chance to look at it and see if its better than the first.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Quick Update:

So for some reason Amazon decides to ship with FedEx this time who I can't stand. I have packages shipped to my parents house who live nearby because I have had stuff stolen off my porch. I check the tracking number and it shows delivered,so I call my dad up and he says that it hasn't been. He calls me back a few minutes later and says he drove around the neighborhood and it had been left on a neighbors doorstep that wasn't even home. So FedEx left my 1000 dollar replacement MacBook on someones porch who wasn't home instead at my parents house where my Dad was waiting to receive it.:mad: I will post later tonight when I get a chance to look at it and see if its better than the first.
Call up the local FedEx manager and report this. They communicate with their drivers constantly. That is terrible.

Also you never know what a drop that MacBook took to take a chunk out of the side like that. You did the right thing. How great is the new whitebook?

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Call up the local FedEx manager and report this. They communicate with their drivers constantly. That is terrible.

Also you never know what a drop that MacBook took to take a chunk out of the side like that. You did the right thing. How great is the new whitebook?

I talked with the FedEx manager. She was not amused about the situation so I think the driver got chewed out. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the new one yet,I'll post when I open it up. Overall though messing around with the damaged one,I am loving this Mac thing. I know its an old cliche but it is so much better than Windows.

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Alright guys,I have opened it up and looked it over and the new MacBook looks great!! Thanks everyone for encouraging me to return it. I know it would have driven me nuts!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.