Brand new macbook will not shut down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sivadnycerka, Jun 19, 2008.

1. sivadnycerka macrumors newbie

sivadnycerka

Have a friend who just bought a brand new MacBook (the black one). After just a week of use, it refuses to shut down. It will go into sleep when the lid is closed but it won't restart or shut down. When a shut down is attempted, it displays a message that the session has timed out and the program (usually the Finder) failed to quit.

Any ideas on what could be causing this???

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

use activity monitor and force quit the finder before shutdown or restart see if that helps

3. golfbuddy macrumors newbie

Finder won't quit

I have been having this problem with my 1 year old macbook for a few months. I have repaired disk permissions. I cannot force quit the finder, the only option is to relaunch. If you find any solutions please post. Thanks.

4. sivadnycerka thread starter macrumors newbie

sivadnycerka

The Finder is not designed to be Force Quit. Otherwise, then the dock would go away as well as all your desktop icons. That is the reason that you can only relaunch the Finder.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

What if you 'force' it to shut down by holding the power button (5+ seconds), or remove the battery? Reboot it from fresh and see if the problem goes away.

6. golfbuddy macrumors newbie

Thanks for trying to help. I can hold the power button and shut down, or remove the battery to shut it down, but it does not fix the problem. I can force to shut down anything that is open, then tell the computer to shutdown or restart, and it will time out saying "cannot shut down because finder failed to quit"

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Try creating a new user account and see if the machine shuts down when logged into the new user.

8. silentio macrumors newbie

Chiming in. I have a similar problem with my MBA. The top menu bar will disappear, but the dock will refuse to disappear when I try to shut down.

Relaunching the finder does nothing, and I have to hold the power button to shut down most of the time.

I can't reproduce it all the time, sometimes it shuts down, sometimes it doesn't. I don't run any special applications that change the way OS X works, just regular ones like Adium, browser, Neooffice, iPhoto.

9. saisrujan macrumors member

I have the same problem too. I am trying to identify the cause of the problem and I seem to have zeroed in on the Alarm Clock program from robbiehanson.com.

Anyone with this problem, can you confirm if you're using Alarm Clock? I wrote to the developer, but I am trying to garner more info to provide to him.

10. sivadnycerka thread starter macrumors newbie

sivadnycerka

No the Alarm Clock program was not actively used. The problem has now been solved by trying a bunch of different things including what was posted on this thread. Regrettably, the exact cause of the problem could not be identified. Thanks to everyone who posted their ideas!

11. jmsmd macrumors newbie

i encountered the same problem, couple programs wouldn't quit, namely messenger. the only way around it was to press and hold the power button at the top right of the keyboard. After it rebooted it was fine, coming from a pc manually restarting was the most logical step to take next.

12. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Right, a few things to say here...

My Mac Mini sometimes does this, only a few times though but it does do this on occasion. I'd head to  > Shut Down and the system would drop the Menu bar and everything on the desktop, but the Dock would hang and then I'd get a timeout from Finder itself.

A way round it that I found through frustrated experimentation is to make the computer to what I've called an "enforced shutdown" (it probably has a real name but I never found out) by hitting command+option+control+eject which closes all apps no matter whether they're running with unsaved work or not, and powers down the system.

This command seems similar to the actual Power key on old ADB-fitted Macs.

Dæmon

13. golfbuddy macrumors newbie

I am not using alarm clock. The only other programs I have installed are Word, Excel, Ppt.

14. nyzballa12 macrumors member

15. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

This is whay I love MRs!
    I am having the same issue with my four-month old black Macbook, but have been told by Apple Care that they are unaware of the problem.

I've called them twice about it, and we deleted the finder plist, plus a few other files, and emptied the trash, but again, it happened tonight.

The finder issue is only an intermittent problem, but a very annoying one, and now that I know other's are experiencing it, I will called Monday and make them solve this issue, in some manner, before my lappie turns a month older.

16. golfbuddy macrumors newbie

Please

YES! My macbook is shutting down fine the last few days but just waiting for it to happen again. It is intermittent, but always the same "Finder wont quit".

17. DebaserIRL macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem with my mac mini..... the problem only started when i got a time capsule a few weeks ago. I have not started to do any kind of automatic back ups.... so i am at a lose as to the cause of its failure to shut down?

18. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

Me too.

Been having this problem with my 9 month old macbook for about two months. Only way to shut it down is by holding the power button down. And it's not just finder that becomes unresponsive. I've had it happen with iTunes, Mail, Safari [a lot], Garage Band and Word. Usually when waking. As soon as you try to minimize or quit the particular program, you get the spinning beach ball. You can't force quit it. The only alternative becomes shutting down with the power button. I've never lost anything that I can tell, but the restarts take forever.

I've even tried an erase and install. Still have the problem. I'm thinking now about taking it to the genius bar. This thing has had the top case replaced twice, the optical drive replaced twice, the logic board once. My hunch is that it's something to do with the last leopard update... but I just don't know what to try anymore. It's frustrating as hell.

19. jmrosen155 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem and have talked on the phone to tech support without any luck. I even did an archive reinstall of OS. Has anybody been successful in resolving the problem? Thanks.

20. blindacid1 macrumors newbie

How to shutdown a macbook through the "terminal" app.

go to spotlight and search for "terminal"
    One the terminal is open acces root permissions by typing "su"
    one you have root access you may enter:
    For shutdown
    shutdown -h now

For restart
    shutdown -r now

21. blindacid1 macrumors newbie

Shutting down macbook

go to spotlight and search for "terminal"
    For shutdown
    shutdown -h now

For restart
    shutdown -r nowgo to spotlight and search for "terminal"
    For shutdown
    shutdown -h now

For restart
    shutdown -r now

22. cdazzzle macrumors newbie

ok, i can not shut my mac down. it wont restart or log out. safari and system preferences will not open. im freaking out. what do i do. also the volume, light, skip and play/pause buttons will not work.

23. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

If you can bring Terminal up, the following command typed at the prompt will force a complete restart:

sudo shutdown -r now

Hit enter after typing the command. You will be asked for an admin password and then it should shutdown and restart. If that doesn't work, hold down the power button for 5 secs. That will force the power to shut off. Then you can power up and reboot again.

24. cdazzzle macrumors newbie

i go to terminal in spotlight, it bonuses on the dashboard and then goes away........

25. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Then force a power down and subsequent restart like I described.