brand new MacMini 2012 or used MacPro for video editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chris990, Oct 29, 2012.

1. chris990 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I am a film student and i am trying to get the best possible editing mashine for just under £1000. I use adobe premiere for heavy ediing and very basic adobe after effects compositing and animation work. I would like some oppinions from you. So...

Option one is the new macmini non-server with upgraded 2.6 i7 quad core processor, 4gb ram and 1tb hdd. After i receive it i would double the hard drive with another ssd drive and upgrade the ram to 16gb. The only component that concerns me is the HD4000 graphics as i dont know if it will work well with premiere as its not on the supported gpu acceleration list. Anyone has experience with this gpu?

And option two would be the best MacPro in this price range from few years ago. Thunderbolt and usb 3 will be lacking but intel xenon processor and dedicated gpu make me think that this will do the job better. I might be mistaking...thats why i am asking you guys for help. And the size is a huge drawback as it is always handy to have a desktop for take-away..

Thank you in advance

2. Lampmeister macrumors member

I'm no expert on video editing, but I do know that the Mac Pro is typically the tool of choice, and I'd think that it would handle the processing demands much better than a mini. The Mac mini is great, but it's liable to fall short given your needs.