Brand new MBA 2015 making noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by malky_mackay, Nov 26, 2015.

1. malky_mackay macrumors newbie

malky_mackay

Hi all,

just this monday I purchased my only second Macbook ever. My first was a 2009 MBP, which has done a marvelous job all along. However, I decided it was time to move on and three days ago I bought a Macbook Air primo 2015. After using it two days, I was really excited (after my first mac I have really high expectations).

Today, however, from the second I logged on it has _continously_ been making a whirring almost clicking noise, which I assume could be the fan (the sound is located somewhere under Q and W on the keyboard. It sounds somewhat like when I was a kid and we used to attached a card with a clothespin to the wheel of our bikes. Like this:

).

I've just been running Pages and browsing standard websites. The computer is not even remotely warm.

The sound irritates me immensely as I expected the computer to be completely silent as my former was in the first couple of years (and I work in very quiet surroundings). I know the fan is supposed to go on when the computer gets warm, but my old computer never made this noise.

I'm running Yosemite. Would an upgrade to Capitan work? Or is it simply normal (in which case I would be very disappointed with the standard of the product)? Or is there simply something wrong with my computer?

I'd be very happy to hear if anyone has experienced something similar or knows more about this than I do.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It's simple..
    Take your MBAir in for service.
    Your fan (which runs continuously while power is on) has some obstruction inside, and the fan blades are making noise by hitting that object, which might be some trash that can be dislodged, or is simply a mechanical fault with the fan. Apple will fix it up for you.

3. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

malky_mackay purchased the MBA 3 days ago. Why have it serviced when it is still within the return/exchange period? Personally, I'd exchange it for another one. It'd be faster and less of a hassle vs waiting for an Apple Genius to look at/service it.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Very true, and a good option in the beginning.
    I would choose service, in this instance. Just my opinion.
    A genius may offer that choice of a swap, too, as it is within the 14 days.
    In my experience, from a similar incident a couple of years ago, the fan picked up a tiny fragment of paper (from inside my bag, I think), and a quick shot of can-o-air took care of that.
    You may have something more involved, but ultimately the choice is the OPs - swap, or service.

5. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

Whoa, there. From where did you get your "new" Mac? Apple would not sell you a new one that wasn't pre-loaded with the most recent version of OS X, currently El Capitan. I smell something fishy.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Could be an Apple refurb, the OP didn't say. The current MBAir started with Yosemite, and may still be in the box with Yosemite, particularly if the OP bought from a non-Apple retailer.
    Some folks prefer a refurb, mostly for the price. The units are essentially new, but will usually come with whatever OS X system originally shipped with that model.

Not really a big deal. I don't smell anything :D

7. malky_mackay thread starter macrumors newbie

malky_mackay

Thanks for your replies! It was no refurb computer, it was a brand new, factory sealed box and everything. 100% new. I had a discount of about 15%, but the discount had nothing to with its condition - there seems to be a discount on all new MBA's in most places right now (and perhaps while Black Friday was approaching. If I'd waited until today I could've had it $50 cheaper). I really do prefer an MBA "13, especially if this turns out to be the last generation available. I'm visiting my sister this weekend and her MBA is from 2011 and it's still running smoothly and completely silently.

As I said, because I've had my MBP for six years and never once had it repaired or anything, my expectations are really high. And because it's my work computer, I cannot do without it for a couple of days, so I probably will need to exchange it.

When I take it in, I will also ask why it wasn't equipped with El Capitan. Obviously as a costumer buying something new, you don't want anything that has been lying around in storage since may, so I think cincygolfgrrl has a valid point.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Don't think there's anything fishy about it.

Just purchased a brand new, sealed MBA from an Amazon retailer and it arrived with Yosemite. No big deal, just update it for free.

9. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Exactly the same here. Got mine with a small discount from an electronics chain. Could have waited until today for a discount. Oh well. And it came with yosemite. I have no problems with this. Everything was factory sealed and very obviously untouched.

10. malky_mackay thread starter macrumors newbie

malky_mackay

Mine was also in perfect condition, so I guess I was just unlucky, because every now and then it happens that you buy a faulty product. All that bothers me is that I have to go back there and exchange it, that's always irritating. I haven't lost my faith in Mac or the MBA 13" at all.

11. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I didn't realize Apple shipped computers to Europe without updating the OS. Sorry; I'm the fishy one.

12. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Today I got a 13" Air, new from a reseller and it arrived with OS X Yosemite as well. Coconut Battery says that it was manufactured on mid-August. No biggie for me.

13. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Wow, I didn't know Coconut can do this. Mine was manufactured in May, which I honestly have no problem with (but I am impressed by the fact the battery had 85% charge when it arrived). Coconut also tells me my battery has capacity of more than 100% (design 7150mAh, current capacity 7273 mAh). I like that.

14. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's a pretty cool feature.

15. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Apple typically ships computers with the OS that was out when the model was released even if a new OS comes out. Occasionally they will start updating the OS IF they have a major production run.

To the OP, did the sound start right away or after a few days? It could be something slipped into the back grill and into the fan... We've pulled everything from broken battery part, paper, fingernails clippings to a part of a Christmas tree...

16. malky_mackay thread starter macrumors newbie

malky_mackay

I noticed it after three days. But I think it's very unlikely that something from without came into the computer as I've only used it in very clean surroundings on my desk and otherwise kept it in a protection case all the time.

17. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Also unusual that a fan would start making mechanical noises after only three days.
    Those are just possibilities, which will be easy to discover when the bottom cover is removed.
    It's simply a chance that you should consider. Sometimes you get surprised!
    If there are no obstructions, then the fan will be replaced.