Brand new MBA fails to shut down

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chickenlegs, Aug 17, 2014.

1. chickenlegs macrumors member

chickenlegs

I have just purchased and started to use my new MBA and find that, occasionally, will not shut down. This is annoyingly not consistent and has happened about five times since I started using the MBA (that's in two days use).
    I wondered if it was when I was shutting down with programmes open, but I have tried with all programmes closed and it still does it.
    It gets to a grey screen during shut down and then hangs with a circular timer ticking away until I do a hard shut down with the power button. The MBA was shipped from China as I asked for it to be fitted with 8GB RAM and a 1.7GHz processor.
    Any thoughts for a solution? Would resetting the VRAM or PRAM do anything for this issue?
    Chris

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

How long to you allow the shutdown to process prior to using the power button? With a brand new machine I'd think that a reset wouldn't be necessary, but there's no harm in trying.

3. chickenlegs thread starter macrumors member

chickenlegs

I have left it whirring for half an hour before resorting to holding the power button down for a few seconds.

4. abta1 macrumors 6502

Does it also happen when you restart the laptop opposed to shutting down?

5. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely take it into an Apple Store if that's an option. It's brand new. It shouldn't be doing that.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Did your MBA always do this or did it dot after installing software?

7. chickenlegs thread starter macrumors member

chickenlegs

Thank you for your replies.
    I haven't tried restarting, but I get the feeling that the result would be the same as a normal shutdown. Unfortunately, the problem is intermittent. Last night it shut down properly, but during the day, it wouldn't shut down twice.
    The problem didn't start straight away, but as far as I can remember, it did it before I had had a chance to install software. I had done the usual thing of setting up iCloud, Wi-Fi, iTunes account, admin password etc..
    You are right, I am sure I could take it in to an Apple Store for repair. I purchased the Air for a specific reason; I am taking it on holiday to Australia in three week's time and I don't particularly want to lose the opportunity to do so.